Chapter 3: The Merpeople Colony

The summer solstice was here and Kenneth was looking forward to today. His parents had told him that they would be taking him somewhere special that happened every summer solstice. They told him they would first be spending the day at the beach. Despite being a wealthy family, the Russells preferred to live a more modest life than most. They lived in a large two-story house made almost entirely of wood, with a large property and in close proximity to Muggles. They had a garden and a greenhouse in the backyard that housed different plants both magical and non-magical. The backyard also had a shed that contained a broomstick.

The area surrounding the exterior of the house was unplottable. What Muggles could see was a two-story house with a road that led to dead end with a rock face and forest. To wizards, the house had a fork in the road, the one on the led to a fishing port, the middle leading toa hidden beach and the last on the right led to a large forest.

The Russell parents were fine with living close to Muggles because it gave their children a chance to interact with two different worlds.They played Muggle sports and watch Muggle films. During his andJacob's early childhood, Kenneth's parents worked together to teach both of them that they couldn't go around flaunting their magic. Ever since an incident that caught the attention of some Muggle children seeing Jacob flying on his father's broom that he swiped from the shed, she forbade Jacob and Kenneth from flying on a broomstick before attending Hogwarts.

Kenneth would spend his summers either in his bedroom, watch films or outside playing. He enjoyed playing football and it gave him considerable stamina. During the summers, his parents would sign him up to play in the local league.

His favourite film of choice were Kung Fu films and he was a big fan of Jackie Chan. He would watch a copious amounts of his films and would re-enact some of his moves. He had taught himself how to use the kip-up technique and an improvised floor sliding back handspring in order to quickly get back on his feet if he fell or was tackled in football. He was not a Muggle gymnast, however.

Gathering his beach gear that consisted of a beach towel, swim trunks and a sleeveless shirt. He packed them all in his bag and went down the stairs to join his parents.

"Ready to go to the beach?" asked Mr. Russell, adjusting a Panama hat on his head. He was wearing his beach gear already and another bag that had a glass jar with green slimy plants in it. Kenneth thought they looked like green, slimy rat-tails.

"Yes,"he said excitedly "What's that in that jar?" he asks pointing.

"You will see soon enough," Mrs. Russell responded. She was wearing a beautiful sun dress and a sun hat. She was carrying her own bag with her towel and swimwear.

"Alright," said Mr. Russell, "Let's go to the beach."

The heat was scorching as Kenneth felt the sun hit his face as he exited the house. The family then walked towards the fork that led to the beach. Kenneth thought he could hear the sound wings flapping. It sounded like it was coming from the forest.

"Did you hear that?" he asks, turning.

"I hear nothing," Mr. Russell says, looking at his wife and gave her a wink.

"Same,"Mrs. Russell says, returning the wink.

"But-"

"Not now. Later."

They continued on with their walk. After another fifteen minutes, they reached the beach. It was a beautiful spot with palm trees scattered everywhere. The sand was white as marble and the ocean gave off a greenish hue. There was a changing room and the family went in to change in their swimwear. After dressing Mr. Russell approaches Kenneth.