Finding Anika

Chapter 1

Anika woke up to find herself sprawled out across her bed laying in a weird position she didn't fall asleep in . She sat up straight and just stared at the wall .

This is something she did every morning because she never felt like getting up . It was still dark outside but the warm muggy weather came into her room through the slightly opened window . Anika laid back down and grabbed her phone it was 5:57 . Her alarm clock went off 3 times and she didn't even hear it .

Anika turned off her ringer and laid back down . It felt like as soon as she closed her eyes she heard her door swing open .

"Anika wake up NOW you don't want to be late it's 6:30! " Her mothers voice projected through Anika's small room . Anika groaned and got up . It felt as if she had just fell asleep , she looked on her bed and saw that her scarf slipped off in the middle of the night she was upset and afraid that her hair wouldn't turn out the way she wanted to to .

Anika made her way to the bathroom and while shutting the door she looked in the mirror to see 5 frizzy braids . She did her hygienic routine then started to take her braids out for her braid out when the door swung open .

"Anika hurry up I got to pee " Her 5 year old brother Kahlil swung open the door . He was already dressed and in his school clothes. Anika sighed and let him in the bathroom . He stood near the toilet and still did the potty dance while Anika continued to take out her 5 braids in the mirror

"What are you doing go to the bathroom so you don't pee on yourself ! " She slightly yelled at him .

"I need you to turn around i need privacy" her brother whined . Anika rolled her eyes and faced the door while he peed . She reached backwards onto the sink to grab her stick comb being careful not to turn around towards her brother . She used the comb to fluff out her braid out and make it look more full. By the time she was done he had flushed the toilet and started to wash his hands then they both left the bathroom.

Anika walked back to her room and walked to her dresser . She pulled out dark blue skinny jeans and threw on a white tee shirt and put a pink PINK jacket over it . Anika quickly grabbed her book bag, phone, charger ,and headphones. She jumped down the steps to see her mother cooking breakfast .

"Good Morning mommy " she said kissing her moms cheek . Her mother had on her work outfit . She worked in a cooperate office, it didn't make them a lot of money but it made ends meet. Her brother Jahlil was standing near their mother typing away on his phone and eating . She pushed his head and he playfully hit her arm.

"How was your sleep Nika ? " Her mother asked while putting oatmeal in a bowl for her . Anika grabbed her phone then put her book bag on her back. She grabbed her bowl from her mom and sat on the counter and started texting on her phone.

"It was good mom how was yours ? " Anika asked while looking up from her phone to her mother . Her mom was a beautiful woman . She had soft dark caramel skin and a nice shaped body . She was very short and petite though . Her mom had hair that was chemically straightened . The length was little past her bra strap . Anika always tried to convince her mother to go natural like Anika did but her mom wasn't ready to make a step like that , she was used to her straight hair .

"It was okay I'm just still tired . Is your father bringing you two to school today ? " her mother asked them while leaning on the counter across from Anika and sipped on her tea. Anika's mother and father were separated since her and her brother were young. Anika still had faith in her father thinking he would change for them but Jahlil thought otherwise .

"Yeah that's what he said " Anika said finishing her oatmeal and texting her best friend Malia. Jahlil rolled his eyes knowing he wasn't coming .

Anika's brother Kahlil ran down the steps "Bye mommy bye Nika bye jah ! " He yelled trying to run past them

"Stop running in my house boy and come here don't try to leave without hugging me goodbye . " Anika's mom said walking out the kitchen to the front door where Kahlil was . They exchanged hugs then he waved to Anika and she blew him a kiss as he ran out the door and my mom followed him to his fathers car.

A few minutes later Anika's mother came back in and kissed them all goodbye after offering twice to drive them but Anika refused to go because she just knew her dad was going to come this time and hold up his end of the word.

Anika and her brother both have the same father but Kahlil doesn't . Anika got off the counter and looked at my phone . It was already 7:00 and her father still wasn't here.

"We leaving if he don't hurry up Nika , we gonna just walk. " Jahlil said grabbing his bag and walking out the kitchen . Anika followed him

"We aren't going anywhere . We are waiting till dad comes. Well at least I am , he said he will be here before 7:30 and I believe he will . " She said walking into the living room where her brother was . Jahlil shook his head at Anika . He didn't have as much faith in his father like Anika did and he knew his father never held up his end of the promises . He hated that his sister was so gullible when it came to their father and that she let him make her cry when he wouldn't do his job .

After watching tv for a little while Jahlil looked down at his phone and it was 7:52 and they are late to school at 8:30. He stood up and started to walk out of the house as he opened the door he looked back towards his anxious sister .

"I'm leaving , you coming Nika ? " He asked as he deep voice filled the room . Anika shook her head no and bit her nails while watching tv with her phone in her hand . Jahlil shook his head and walked out the door .

Anika continued to wait and soon it became 8:00. She sighed realizing that her father wasn't coming . She grabbed her bag and keys then turned off all the lights in the room . She walked out the door and locked it.

She started walking towards her bus stop and saw her brother still sitting there waiting for her . She looked sad and was in a deep thought. Even though Jahlil wanted to say I told you so he just put his arm around her as they both sat at the bus stop waiting for the bus .

Please vote and comment