T e n

+ + +

The hired orchestra played a soft harmony as the guests surrounded the staircase, eager to steal the first glance. Except for Damien, the band was mute and the crowd was non-existent. At that moment the only beings to exist were him and the diamond standing at the top of the stairs. 

He watched as her eyes scanned each corner of the room, worry and fear brimming her eyes. He waited, for what felt like an eternity for her gaze to land on him. And when it did, he felt a sudden pang in his chest; the feeling vanished, quicker than the time he had to actually feel it. 

He saw her take a sharp intake of breath, so subtle that he was sure that only he noticed. He noticed the little hesitation in her step as she took the first step down. He noticed her taking a deep breath as her hand touched the railing, her sharp collar bone exposed with a clear definition. He noticed her every blink, her every breath. He only noticed her. 

And within a blink of an eye, eternity was over and she stood in front of him. Her skin was as smooth as the silk she wore. 

"Damien." She said softly, so soft it was almost a whisper. His name sounded so good in her mouth. "I-, It's you."

His head snapped to his right hearing Ricardo clear his cough, the bastard.

Damien calmly shifted his attention back to the girl in front of him, except this time all traces of adoration he had for her were gone. 

Abigail. 

Her name left a bitter taste on his tongue, he detested it.

She accepted the hand that he offered and he kissed the back of hers, his lips feeling her skin for the first time. Her eyes widened and a small gasp left her lips, it didn't go unnoticed by Damien, he wanted to scoff at her act. He was just playing by the script he planned out in his head for tonight. Just for tonight. 

He ignored how well their hands fit together and hooked her hand on his arm before the pair turned and faced the guests together. 

Ricardo was the first to greet them. It was amusing how just the sight of a face could create such an overpowering temptation to beat the life out of it. 

"Abigail, Damien." He greeted with a smile.

"U-Uncle." The girl stuttered. Damien tore his gaze away from her and simply nodded at Ricardo. He congratulated the couple and was quick to leave as the guests livened up once again. Damien could laugh at the pathetic excuse of the man, he couldn't even find the courage to look him straight in the eyes. 

More guests swarmed around the couple, greeting them with compliments, endless congratulations and nagging questions about the upcoming wedding. 

"How and where did you propose? I bet it was so grand and romantic!"

"My daughter is a wedding planner, she would be more than happy to aid in the organisation! Will we expect a big wedding? Oh my, what kind of dress will you be wearing?"

"Any plans for the honeymoon?"

"As a couple, you're both so pleasant to the eye. Congratulations!"

"Any plans for children in the future? How many? Three or four is the perfect amount."

Each question and comment irritated every crevice of Damien's head, his anger building up and patience running thin. He internalised his vexation and instead nodded along ignoring all the absurd questions.