S e v e n

+ + +

On the cold floor of her balcony, Abigail sat wrapped up in her blanket staring at the empty night sky. The soft breeze brushed against her red cheeks waving her baby hairs in all different directions. However, even with the quietness of the night, her thoughts were overbearing and loud.

She let out a shaky breath and inhaled deeply. She had just finished crying, her throat still closed up, her nose blocked and her chest felt hollow and physically empty. It had been days since she had locked herself away in her room, confined in the safety of her four walls avoiding any sort of interaction with anyone.

Never had she felt such intense anger, betrayal, and misery all at once. She was deteriorating in this state. Admittedly, although she isolated herself she was desperate for someone to talk to, not even about the whole situation, she just wanted to hear a voice.

Impulsively she got up, her bum slightly sore from sitting in the same position for such a long time, and got the main home phone from the corridor. She bit her lip staring at his business card that she neatly kept on her vinyl table. She shook her head and grabbed the small card towards the balcony, she really shouldn't feel as nervous as she felt it wasn't like the first time she called him.

Abigail leaned on the balcony and dialled his number.

Her palms started to get a little clammy, her nerves slightly getting to her; he did mention to call him whenever she wanted.

"H-hello?" She cleared her throat surprised at how scratching hoarse her voice sounded, though it has been a few days since she has last spoken out loud to anyone.

"Abigail."

Abigail let out a small breath relieved to hear his familiar voice, it was comforting.

"Damien, hi." She greeted softly chewing her bottom lip as she heard the shuffling from the other end. "I'm sorry, did I wake you?"

"Don't worry about it, how have you been?"

"I've been... good."

It was a lie, she hasn't been good, at all.

Abigail moved her blanket off the floor and back onto her bed. She stared that her full-length mirror that reflected the minimal light given by the moon. Her reflection looked rough, her face red and puffy, her eyes swollen and her hair matted in a bun, she was thankful Damien couldn't see her.

She instantly frowned at how she had completely lost herself, physically and emotionally she didn't feel like herself. The emptiness in her chest expanded, letting out a small whimper. Her sight started to blur once again as the tears started to well up.

"What's wrong?"

"O-oh, I-" She breathed in deeply collecting her emotions, "It's nothing, I just wanted to talk."

"About what?"

"About... I don't know, anything." She felt her lips tremble slightly, "I wanted to hear your voice."

"Abigail, did something happen to you?"

"No." She bit her lip and fiddled with the hem of her shirt. "I-I'm fine."

"There is something wrong, you don't sound fine to me," Damien stated. "Tell me."

Instinctively Abigail got back into bed and wrapped herself in her blanket leaving the phone beside her face, on speaker. She looked up at the ceiling feeling slightly guilty for saying a small white lie.

"It's nothing."

"It's not 'nothing'. You've been crying."

Abigail fell silent and chewed her lip.