F o u r

+   +   +

The curtains were left open and instead of the beaming sun, she remembered seeing the beaming sun but instead showed the dark blue sky of the night. Abigail sat up from the couch confused, her thin crochet blanket draped around her figure. She glanced over her shoulder at the old antique grandfather clock. 

5:30 am 

The realisation hit her that she had fallen asleep halfway through reading. She groaned feeling all four of her limbs ache. Ricardo had given her very tardy tasks to complete in one day, which included cleaning the entire garden and planting certain plants. He also told her to clean the guest house even though it hadn't been occupied in years, but she didn't dare to argue. 

Having done chores all day took a toll on her body and had her exhausted by late afternoon. She remembered lying on the couch to read to relax and probably drifted off to sleep until the early hours of the next morning. 

She rubbed her eyes, she did feel quite groggy which was not surprising since she just woke up from a fourteen-hour 'nap'. 

A small groan of pleasure escaped her lips as she arched her back backwards popping all the stiffness out of her body.

She slowly pulled the heavy door of the library open wrapping the blanket tighter around her. Thank god the library was constantly warm or she probably would have shivered to death. The summer mornings before the sun comes out were always the chilliest.

She stepped out of the comfort of the library and looked over the second-floor balcony noticing the lights towards the dining room and kitchen were on. Abigail scrunched her eyebrows confused she doesn't remember turning the light on especially since it didn't get dark until 9 pm. 

Distant shuffling could be heard causing her to freeze and her blood to run cold.

She would be in so much trouble if any of Ricardo's possessions were to get stolen. With her back against the smooth wall, she tiptoed down the stairs and across to the living room to grab the long fireplace poker from its stand next to the fireplace.

Keeping her steps light and silent, she walked towards the area of the kitchen with the pole held to her chest defensively. Before turning the corner she heard a small bang followed by a chain of endless profanities. 

"Marie?" Abigail called out recognising her voice and cautiously entered the kitchen leaving the metal stick behind. 

"Oh! Morning sweetheart, you're up early." 

"Yeah, I fell asleep yet early." she signed sitting on the stall, "I didn't know you were coming, I thought you were an intruder." 

Marie chuckled and called her silly, "Ricardo told me to fill the fridge."

"What do you want a drink?"

"A hot chocolate please," she asked excitedly, Marie made the best hot chocolate since it always tasted better when someone else made it, especially with a mix of love.

"Coming right up!" 

Abigail looked over to the stove that was filled with pots and pans. Sniffing the air, she closed her eyes and moaned at the delicious aroma.

"Mmm smells delicious. What are you cooking?"

"Where do I even start? I just finished your uncle's favourite: chicken katsu curry and stir fry. I'm just about to make a Mediterranean salad." 

"That's nice." she hopped off her seat to inspect the food inside the pots. 

"Anything, in particular, you want me to cook?"