O n e

+   +   +

Abigail returned the mop back into the cupboard with the other cleaning supplies. It took her almost five whole hours to clean the entire second floor from top to bottom including all the washing and ironing. 

She wiped the moisture off her forehead before tying her long hair into a tighter ponytail in an attempt to lock her baby hairs in place. 

In theory, the second floor should have been quick and easy to clean since only three rooms were occupied which were her bedroom, her uncle's room and his office which she wasn't allowed to enter without his permission. However, the second floor also had several empty guest rooms and other rooms that were unused and accumulated dust over time, it was her job to ensure every nook and cranny was cleaned. 

Abigail jumped at the sudden call of her name, she was alone and wasn't expecting any guests. She placed the remaining cleaning equipment into the other cupboard before hurrying to look over the balcony that overlooked the main foyer. 

A smile formed when she recognised the familiar face calling her name.

"Marie!" Abigail called out descending down the staircase. 

"I wasn't expecting you, let me help you with that." Abigail took the bags from Marie. "Oh! These are a bit heavy."

"You're such a darling, your uncle told me to do three weeks' worth of shopping and said he wanted everything stocked. There's more by the front door, I've unloaded it all." 

"Stocked? For what?" Abigail wondered, following Marie into the kitchen, slightly struggling with the weight of the shopping bags. 

"Who knows? You know him, strict orders zero explanation."

Abigail nodded in agreement. He was a man with a short fuse, so many avoided questioning him and just followed his orders. But it made sense since at work he's constantly required to be strict and lead his employees.

"How does lasagne sound for dinner?" 

"Yes! I was actually craving that badly."

"Have you eaten lunch?" 

"I had a late breakfast, I'm not hungry." She placed the last two bags onto the marble island. 

Although Marie was their cook and was only paid to work twice a week, she would visit Abigail as often as possible which she greatly appreciated. Apart from her uncle, she was lonely and the time spent with Marie she treasured dearly.

"Help me pack these groceries away so we can get started on the lasagne. I made the pasta sheets yesterday so they cook faster, I packed it away in one of those bags" Abigail looked over the twelve bags filled with food. "I think in the pink bag."

"Found them! And you bought strawberries!" She went to place the pasta into the fridge before rinsing the strawberries and secretly eating one. She knew that it was bad to eat before cooking as it altered the taste buds but how could she resist?

Abigail quickly unpacked all the bags and neatly stored them in the pantry.

"That actually reminds me, the cafe's getting a bit busy and since it's July everyone's craving the new ice cream cakes, I could really do with an extra helping hand."