AWAKE : TWENTY ONE

Y/N'S POINT OF VIEW

We stay silent for another minute, completely engulfed in darkness. We're too shocked to speak after what we just saw.

Irene whispers, her voice floating in the surrounding darkness, "I told you guys. They're real. What my Dad said is true."

Based on her amazed voice, I thought even she doubted her Dad's words...

Until now.

What we just saw changed all of our perspectives.

"Let's get out of here," Nayeon says. "It's already dark. We need to get there quickly to find those documents."

She's right.

Tzuyu turns the car key, and the engine rumbles to life for a brief moment, then dies again. She tries again... and again.

When nothing happens after the fourth try, she turns to us. "Uh oh, guys," she calls out. Even before she speaks, I already know what she's going to say. "I think we have a problem."

"Shit," Momo curses.

Seven Hells. When it was dark and we were in the middle of the road, our car broke down. Bad trip. It seems like the odds aren't in our favor.

"What do we do now?" Jihyo asks. She scoots closer to me, and I suddenly feel her arm brush against mine.

"Let's get out of here," I answer. "I think there are some establishments nearby. We'll definitely see another car soon."

I pull my phone out of my jeans and try to activate the flashlight, but the screen won't light up. That's strange. If I'm not mistaken, the battery was still half full the last time I checked.

I hear the car noises. I think Tzuyu's still trying to crank the engine. Every failed attempt is punctuated by a curse word.

I'm about to speak up when Dahyun cuts me off. "Guys, my freaking phone won't turn on either. I don't know what happened, but I think it's busted."

"Mine won't open either," Momo agrees.

"I think it has something to do with that freaking spaceship," Mina says with anger in her voice.

"What do you mean?" Jeongyeon ask.

"I read something in a science fiction novel... I didn't think it would be possible... until now."

"What is it?" Nayeon asks urgently.

We fall silent before Mina speaks again.

"It seems the spaceship emitted some sort of electromagnetic pulse," she says. "If it's the same thing I read about, then we won't be able to use any electronic devices anymore, including cars and cellphones."

Shit.

"Is this temporary? Or..." I trail off.

"I don't know," she answers.

"So we're basically doomed now?" Nayeon asks. "How unfortunate."

Yup. The odds are definitely not in our favor right now.

"We can't stay here," Irene says. "We need to find shelter for the night. We're too exposed to the natural element."

She's right. Who knows what those creatures are that are strolling here right now on Earth? We aren't the dominant species anymore.

We are the prey.

"But how? How can we find shelter without any light source?" Jihyo asks. "We can't just wander around hoping to see something."

As soon as she finishes speaking, a sudden light flickers on the front of our car. It comes from the lighter Tzuyu is holding.

"Problem solved," Sana says with a hint of a smile.

Tzuyu is the first one out of the car, and then we follow. With shaky breaths, fast-beating hearts, and only a lighter to guide us, we all head into the dark and silent night.

Mother cow help us all.