Fourteen: A' Claeri de Natanstrelle

(The Children of Natanstrelle)

The sound of squealing laughter resounded through the air as the first of the Natanstrellean children ran and played together amongst the streets of Chridocus. The light of the stars shone upon their mixed features, a perfect balance of Troglobha and Sìthicris blood. Their parents doted on them, they were so proud of how their love overcame past hatred and produced such a happy, unified future for the land.

However, one feature in particular baffled both tribes; their children's eyes did not glow - not with the magic of the Sìthicris or the fires of Troglobha. It was as if mixing magic and fire cancelled their glow out somehow, only to leave muted colour in their place. Although, the happy parents saw beauty in what they'd made, the Sìthicris in particular worried about what this could mean. If there was no glow within the children's eyes, did this mean that their magic and their tribe's ways were going to die out? This was a question that plagued Chief Dìonad and many others' minds, so they sought answers within the smoke - much to Vidurram and Severton's chagrin.

"Hey Vidorea, when is it supper? I'm starving!" Sevopri piped up from the group of gathered mothers sitting outside the main tent.

"Oh! I'm not surprised, it's getting late! I guess we can start supper without the men this evening. Illuminare-Trabem only knows what's taking them!" Vidorea said, whilst making her way to the hearth inside the tent. Two of the mothers, one Sìthicris and one Troglobha, followed her to help.

"You are always starving, Sevopri!" joked a Troglobha mother that lay peacefully on the ground beside the small, yellow Sìthicris.

"Oh come on now, Maria, I'm sure you remember quite well how it is!" Sevopri retorted, matching her friend's energy, whilst stroking her bloated belly.

"Oh I do, I do indeed," Maria responded with a warm smile. She then pushed herself up from the ground so that she was sitting up-right beside the pregnant Fairy. "How is young Strellum taking to the idea of having another sibling?"

"Oh, he doesn't seem to be bothered really, unlike his father, Sev's always got that huge smile on his face, like he's waiting to receive treasure! You know, sometimes I think he wants us to populate Natanstrelle all by ourselves!" Sevopri punctuated her rant with a roll of her glowing yellow eyes. She then met Maria's fiery gaze and they both burst into laughter.

"You two are incredible! You really are!" Maria managed to say whilst her shoulders shook.

"I think so too." Their laughter abruptly stopped as soon as they heard Vidorea's voice from the doorway. "I can't believe you are having your third child, Sevopri, I couldn't be happier for you."

The happiness that Vidorea tried her hardest to show did not reach the violet glow of her eyes.

"Thank you Vidorea," Sevopri answered quietly, whilst focusing on her fingers stroking along her enlarged abdomen. "I'm sure it will happen for you again soon though, Illuminare-Trabem willing."

Vidorea nodded her head, she dared not speak more about it in fear of crying in front of her friends again. She turned around and headed back inside.

"Poor thing, it really upsets her doesn't it?" Maria whispered looking over her shoulder towards the closed doorway to the main tent.

"Yeah, but she has Beanni who is a true gem!" Sevopri said with a wide smile as she saw the fiery-haired five year old skip in front of her.

"Indeed! And she'll always be the first of the Natanstrellean children. No one can take that from her or her parents!" Maria added, then felt Sevopri's dainty hand pat her shoulder.