Forty-Two: A New Path

The Trolls were so hospitable towards Beanni and Oslac after all that had happened within their land. The return of colour, life and indeed their helpful tree creatures had warmed their once hardened hearts. They fed them both, and offered them beds of moss to sleep on. Beanni and Oslac didn't want to impose at first and planned to return to Natanstrelle that same night, but it was so late the Trolls insisted that they stay and rest as they looked after them. It was all such a bizarre concept to the two Natanstrelleans, for they were both brought up to fear this tribe, the ones who killed so many of their people, who nearly killed Oslac earlier that very day. However, they both witnessed the light return to their land and indeed the Trolls had changed. Their eyes no longer burned with dangerous roaring flames, but glowed with inviting warmth.

The light of the next day brought out even brighter colours from the surrounding nature of Troll land. As Beanni and Oslac emerged from their hut they watched tree creatures scurry past them, getting busy for their various jobs that morning.

"Ah, King Oslac, Beanni," the Troll leader greeted them, it looked as though he stood waiting for them for quite a while. "Did you both sleep well?"

"Yes," Oslac rushed to reply politely. Of course, he struggled to sleep a wink after all that had happened the day before.

"Thank you so much for everything, Fallon," Beanni said with a wide, friendly smile and threw her arms around the towering, muscular Troll leader. He looked taken aback at first, but then relaxed, and hugged her back. They parted, then he turned towards Oslac, holding out his enormous hand for him to shake.

Oslac didn't dare to hesitate, not with Beanni watching his every move. He took the Troll's hand and partook in the firmest of handshakes.

"I'd like to take this opportunity, King Oslac," Fallon took up a strong stance and spoke in an official tone. "To invite you and your people to my flourishing land. We, the other Trolls and I, decided that we would like to mark this new era of peace with a celebration."

Oslac stood with his mouth agape, he stood silent for quite some time. Not wanting things to get too awkward, Beanni decided to jump in and answer for him.

"That sounds incredible, thank you so much," she said with a beaming smile. "We shall return to Natanstrelle right now and get everyone ready."

Fallon took a step back and bowed his head in respect to them both. "Come tomorrow, we shall prepare a grand party for you all."

"We shall," Oslac finally found his voice, bowed his head to mirror the Troll leader's sign of respect, then turned towards Beanni, whose hands began to glow violet.

"Goodbye for now, Fallon, and thank you again," Beanni said before grabbing Oslac's hands, she focused hard and sent out countless violet ribbons in the air around them. Troll land soon dissolved and made way for the quiet, lonely grounds of Astrid Palace.

When they took in their changed surroundings, a disappointed sigh left them both. They expected the land to shine just as brightly as Troll land did, but when they materialised back upon the steps outside Astrid Palace, it was just as it was when they had left. A sadness still hung in the air and a deep silence breathed down their necks, making them both shiver.

"It feels so lonely here compared to Troll land," Oslac said, taking in the muted colours. "I don't understand, has the curse only been broken in Troll land? Has Illuminare-Trabem forgotten about us?"

"No, of course he hasn't," Beanni answered, listening to the voices that spoke from the violet glow that lived within her mind. "There is work we still have to do, that's all." She glanced up towards Oslac, her glowing eyes managed to fill him with the warmth he was suddenly craving.