Nineteen: Missing

Dillan, after waiting outside Queen Amber Academy for longer than he ever had to before, searched for his little sister. He ran around the school grounds, and went back inside and searched the corridors and rooms. She was nowhere to be seen.

"What is she doing?" Dillan growled under his breath, as he stepped out of the main door again. "Why would she leave without me?"

He then decided to run to the Central City's nature garden - the usual place where they met Prince Oslac.

He passed the surrounding trees and shrubs and made his way across the grass to the old statues and fountain in the centre. There stood the Prince on his own, waiting patiently for his friends. He turned and looked at Dillan who stopped to catch his breath.

"Hi Dillan, what took you so long? where's Bay?" Oslac asked, looking around for her.

Dillan could not speak through the deep gasps that punched their way from his chest. He shook his head and squeezed his eyes shut.

"Dillan? What's going on?"

"I..." Dillan rushed to regain his composure. "I don't know. I... She's gone."

"What do you mean she's gone?" A glower slammed down onto the prince's brow.

"I mean she's gone! She didn't meet me at the Academy." Dillan tried his hardest to piece together his thoughts, but that was difficult as he couldn't really understand what was going on. "I thought she may have left to meet you without me. But she's not here either. It's not like her. She's gone!"

"By the stars..." Oslac's eyes glazed over as what Dillan was saying sank in.

"What can we do? I need to find her! She's my sister!" Dread dried up Dillan's throat and he stared into the abyss that was opening up in front of him. "Dad's going to kill me..."

"We'll find her, don't worry!" Oslac rushed to reassure his friend, but Dillan could see in the prince's hazel eyes that he didn't fully believe in his well-meaning sentiment.

"How?" Dillan began to notice the murkiness of twilight that began to lie heavily upon his surroundings- such a sight made his heart fall to the pit of his stomach. "It's getting dark."

"You must go home," Oslac said, glancing past the Draoicis-Lus' shoulder towards the West - towards Dillan and Beanni's home village. "Maybe Bay is there now."

Dillan shook his head, the worry that grew more and more inside him felt like it was going to overflow. He watched the prince fish out his orb and make it expand in his left hand.

"Go home Dil, or your father will kill you!" Oslac demanded, then made his orb glow violet. "I'll do what I can at the Palace. I won't stop looking for her."

A mere split second passed after Oslac made his promise, violet light engulfed him and he disappeared. When the last wisps of the royal light magic began to fade away, Dillan swiftly turned on his heel and darted towards his home village. He had to fight against the strong hand of anxiety that desperately wanted to pull him in the opposite direction. The last thing he wanted to do was face his father's anger.

 The last thing he wanted to do was face his father's anger