Twenty-Nine: Shining Water

Twilight hours reared their head upon the fourth day of Strellemarè, Lorren gathered the plates of their evening meal together as Lorrus stoked the flames of the campfire. These movements on the middle day meant only one thing - it was time for the light magic show. Starting with the head of the family, they all would take it in turns to share a story through the medium of light orb projections. This activity was a tradition that was added to the Earrons holiday by Queen Amber - who was famous for her utter enthusiasm for this Natanstrellean pastime, as well as being the one who brought an end to the destructive Noir Era.

The air around the small campfire lit up with splendid colour as each of them took their turn to showcase what they planned to share; they decided to go in order of age so Beanni, of course, had to wait to the very end.

Her turn came closer and closer and as Oslac took out his light orb and grew it in his hand, Beanni felt for her own light orb through her pouch, knowing her turn was only moments away. She glanced at the light in Oslac's hand, took in the pure white contents of her best friend's orb and instantly noticed something missing.

"Oz, where is your violet light? I can't see it," she asked, then felt the heavy gaze of her father on her. "Sorry, I... I didn't mean to interrupt..."

Oslac said nothing, he just sat there staring into the orb that sat ready on his open palm.

"Oz? I'm sorry, please go ahead."

She noticed his bottom lip tremble, but then he snapped out of it with a shake of his head and a shallow sigh.

"Right! My story!" he said with a smile, which Beanni noticed to be forced, however she decided against pressing further. She wiggled upon the log, to get more comfortable and politely waited for him to start.

"I decided to show you all what I can see from my chamber window at Astrid Palace," he introduced his light show in his best storyteller voice.

Golden and white rays stretched out from his orb. They coiled their way through the air and formed the perfect likeness of the buildings of Eartem, then formed the surrounding white wall around Central City and the buildings that were separated from the Eastern village. The well known streets twinkled with gold and white splendour. However, his light display was not yet finished, sparks of green, blue and deep purple light flitted into the air and joined the picture - adding the tops of the trees of Night forest, and beyond that the peaceful blue waters of the Natanstrelle Ocean. Beanni took it all in with wide eyes.

"I wake up every morning and look out at that. I am always amazed at how beautiful my home is," the prince continued, his eyes lost within the landscape he had created with his light magic.

"You can see all that?" Dillan gasped, not able to look away from the beautiful projection.

"Wow! How the Royals live..." Aeron-Lius pitched in, just as mesmerised.

"Natanstrelle, a place of beauty, rich in culture, full of mystery and life changing history," Oslac carried on reciting what he had planned to say. "Illuminare-Trabem only knows what else is in store for the people who live in this wonderful place."

"Let's hope it is a future full of light and not darkness..." Lorrus joined in the sentiment.

His wife said nothing and got to her feet, as she did so Oslac drew his light projection back to his left hand.

"Lorren, where are you going?" Lorrus asked her.

"I erm... hot cocoa..." she stammered an awkward answer. "I must get the hot cocoa ready."

"All in good time, my love, Beanni hasn't had her go yet." He reached out his hand towards her, beckoning to her to sit back down. Lorren's bottom lip trembled and she stared across the campfire towards her two sons. Dillan gave her a look plagued with guilt and bowed his head.