Thirty: Pushing Ahead

Oslac stared at Beanni as he waited for an explanation. He watched her open her mouth only to close it again, before awkwardly turning her focus back to the water.

"Bay?" he pressed.

"T-this is Ethan Robson, Oz. I... err... we connected through the smoke. H-he is in the non-magical realm." She said not looking away from the lake's rippling surface.

"Y-you connected with the... how? How is that possible?" Oslac questioned, squeezing his eyebrows into a deep scowl. "Nobody has made a connection with the non-magical realm since... since..."

"Since Luchinda Fiosolim," Ethan's contribution made Oslac jump. "And it's about time I heard a Natanstrellean voice again! I've waited long enough."

"What? You?" Oslac let out a pained groan as his hand flew to his temple. "My head hurts!"

"Oz, I'll explain everything, I promise."

He felt Beanni's hand stroke his shoulder gently. He looked up into her eyes, their violet glow twinkling beautifully against the shadows of night. He then followed her gaze and turned towards the face patiently waiting within the dancing water.

"Why did you call me here, Ethan?" she asked him.

"Beanni, time is running out. I must return home."

Oslac had no idea what this Ethan guy was talking about, he looked at Beanni hoping for some answers, but what she said in response only brought up more questions.

"Home? To Troll Land?"

"Yes, Beanni."

"Bay!" Oslac interrupted them. "What's going on?"

"Oz, I'll tell you everything, okay. Just let me..."

"Beanni, you must open the portal. Use Patengailte!" Oslac looked into the water. Desperation plagued the strange man's eyes, they glowed with the violet connecting magic that Gealach Trabem blessed Beanni with.

"I don't know how. N-nobody knows!" Beanni matched Ethan's tone.

"Patengailte is a forbidden practice!" Oslac pitched in. "Nobody has done it for a hundred years!" Such an outrageous notion couldn't sit within his mind. All he could see was the angry look in the king's eyes if he were ever to be brave, or stupid, enough to suggest such a thing. If he were to even mention the outlawed Patengailte Potion, he was sure that his father would never trust him again or worse lock him up with the illegal gazers.

"Luchinda worked out how to do it all those years ago. It was forbidden for her then. Find out how. There must be someone you can go to."

"You have no idea how much we will be risking if we dare go through with it!" Oslac raised his voice at the seemingly clueless non-magic dweller.

"You'll be risking so much more if you don't!" Ethan matched his pitch, a dangerous glower slammed onto his brow. "There is no other way! I must return to Troglobha Terran, or Natanstrelle, all of Dachan Terran even, will be lost! Everything will turn black, life will snuff out, a war that'll end all will rear its head if I do not return to my rightful place!" He then glanced towards Beanni, who Oslac noticed had become too quiet. A look of worry wiped away any anger that was evident on Ethan's face. "Beanni?"

Oslac looked towards Beanni beside him. Her eyes seemed glazed over, the violet glow dimmed down. She began to tremble and her breath came out in panicky bursts.

"Bay? Bay, you're shaking." Oslac hugged his arm around her shoulders and tried to hold her still. It made no difference. "Bay? Oh no..."

"She's still affected by that day? The day of the loud noises?" Ethan questioned from his place under the shining water.