Part 18

Everyone stood there open-mouthed for a minute. "Excuse me?" Odin asked, as if he didn't hear her.

Cassie cleared her throat. "If possible, I would like to-"

Odin cut her off. "I heard you, girl. I just can't possibly imagine why you would say that."

Loki had been shocked and a bit confused at first, then hurt at Odin's words, but he showed no emotion as Cassie glanced at him.

"I wasn't told I needed to give a reason why," she quipped, taking a risk talking back to the king. "Accept or reject the request, and I shall leave to my duties."

"I do not-" Odin cut himself off as Queen Frigga whispered in his ear. He sighed, but nodded and the queen smiled happily. "The decision shall be up to Loki."

Everyone turned to look at Loki, who looked at his mother who gave a subtle encouraging nod. Cassie's nerves disappeared as Loki smiled lovingly—wait no, that wasn't right. She must have misinterpreted the emotion—at her and announced his decision. "I accept."

Odin sighed and banged his staff on the ground. "From now on, I declare Loki's personal maid, to which he may do whatever he wishes-" What? "-Cassie."

'Whatever he wishes'? That sounds ominous. Nevertheless, Cassie smiled back at Loki.

Odin dismissed her, leaving her to scurry out of the thrown room to the maid's area. Sunny intercepted her immediately.

"Well?" Sunny asked.

"Well what?" Cassie asked back.

"You know what! What did you decide?" Cassie had told Sunny of her decision she had to make since she needed a second opinion.

"I'm going to be a personal maid," Cassie revealed and Sunny 'Oooh'ed.

"For whom?"

"You shall find out eventually," Cassie winked and Sunny sighed.

"Cassie!" Dolores called, and she hurried over to her.

"Yes, Miss?"

"I have been told you are to pack your things and move?" Dolores asked. "What happened?"

Cassie blinked, she didn't realize she was moving to be Loki's personal maid.

"I've changed to a personal maid," Cassie explained.

Dolores raised an eyebrow. "The Allfather gave you such honor? Why, may I ask?"

"It was part of a deal I had made." Cassie explained, also saying that that was all she could say.

"She won't tell me anything who's maid she is!" Sunny told Dolores.

"If she doesn't want to say that is her choice," Dolores told Sunny. "We shall find out tomorrow at the engagement party anyway."

"Sorry, the what?" Cassie asked.

"The engagement party tomorrow. The Allfather announced that one of the princes is engaged," Sunny explained. "Oh it must be Thor! Who wouldn't kill to be married to him?"

"Cassie should be on her way to her new room now," Dolores said. "We're still here if you need us, Cassie."

Cassie smiled at her. "Thank you."

*

A few minutes later, Cassie was in her new room. It was attached to Loki's so she could easily get him whatever he needed. Or that's what she was told.

Her new room was pretty big. All the rooms in the castle were huge, and although hers was half the size of Loki's, it was still a nice room.

There were about a dozen maid clothes in her closet which she needed to wash once a week. The clothes she had to wear were created with a very uncomfortable fabric, but anything was better than the cell. She shivered just thinking about it.

There was a knock on the door connecting hers and Loki's room, and she quickly ran to open it. On the other side stood Loki.

"My prince," she gave a mock curtsy. "How may I help you?"

Loki chuckled good naturally. "I was wondering if you would be at the gala tomorrow."

"I was told I needed to be there, so yes." She could have sworn she saw a flicker of sadness and panic on Loki's face, but it disappeared and he continued talking before she could say anything.

"Then I shall see you there, my lady."

"You shall."

*

The gala room was absolutely gigantic. It was even bigger than Stark's party room. There were probably thousands of people in the room. Hundreds of tables and chairs, and tables filled with food. She had to sit at the 'Maid Table' with the other maids there, but she didn't mind.

Since she was a house maid, she didn't need to run around handing out food and cleaning out dirty plates, but she wasn't supposed to go on the dance floor where many were waltzing and doing other formal dances.

She had to sit at her table while the maids gossiped and she looked around the room for Loki. Sunny noticed her looking around and whispered in her ear. "If you're looking for the royal family, they come in later while someone announces their names."

Cassie nodded, and thanked her. She supposed it seemed smart to do so. It makes you seem regal to come in later with everyone's eyes on you.

Thankfully, someone blew a horn and as if it was a cue, everyone turned to the stairs as Odin walked in.

"King Odin, the Allfather!" The man who blew the horn announced as Odin came down the stairs.

The same was done for Queen Frigga. "Queen Frigga, the Allmother!"

Thor came in next and Cassie noticed he almost tripped on his cape, which she had to suppress a giggle about. "Prince Thor."

Last, she had to assume was Loki. "Prince Loki," the man announced. Loki came in with a lady on his arm, who grinned at the crowd. "And his fiancé, Sigyn."

Cassie's mouth dropped open. His what? She felt a surge of jealousy as she glared at the lady on Loki's arm.