Falling Into Place

You let out a sigh, Tristán walking towards you with a confident smile. Sure, he was handsome, it was undeniable. But something about him made you want to wipe the arrogant smirk off of his face.

He was so sure he could steal your heart, it made you just want to slap him with the hard truth. You were sure he just wanted to sleep with you anyway, and when he gets what he wants, he's out of your life.

You were somewhat like a contest for the single men who weren't after Isabela. You were sort of their 'next best thing', and Dolores still hoped for the same attention.

Part of you was happy she wasn't being treated the same way as you because she was worth more than being some kind of trophy wife or competition for men to feed their ego. You had noticed how Isabela became one to Mariano, everyone dictating how perfect they are together just because of their looks.

You couldn't help but wonder if the woman had actually liked him. But you knew she was in good hands with Mariano. He may be a typical lover boy, but he would treat his future wife as she deserves, based on everything Dolores had told you.

You welcome all the people entering the café, Tristán next to you while he listens in to their orders to cook. As much as you tried to keep your relationship purely professional, he would always do these little things that crossed that boundary. He, quite frankly, made it impossible to keep the line between workmates.

Just as you move back behind the counter to punch in some orders, he wraps his arms around you as he pretends to look for something.

Two customers come up to you, feeling their gaze, you pinch the bridge of your nose in annoyance before elbowing him on the stomach discreetly, making him grunt and move away.

Clearing your throat, you look them in the eyes and find the most popular couple before you. "What a pleasure to serve you. What would you like to have this morning?" You ask, plastering a smile on your face.

Mariano rubs his chin thoughtfully, Isabela's eyes trained on you, looking at you with a sweet smile on her lips. Just like every other time you'd met her, she was breathtakingly gorgeous.

"What would you recommend for me?" She asks with mischief dancing in her eyes, the first time you've ever actually interacted with her and she was showing you a somehow playful side you'd never seen in town.

You smile genuinely, pointing to your personal favorite. "Well, I think you could give our lavender latte a try. I grow my own lavender flowers on my balcony and dry them, cook up a special syrup with them and add them to my homebrewed coffee and milk, giving it a floral and fresh taste."

"Interesting," Isabela says and nods with a pleasing smile. "Alright, I'll have that. You had me at flowers."

She seemed more laid-back than you had thought. Dolores always used to tell you about how her prima seemed so stricken and stiff, but seeing her here before you made you doubt her words just a little bit.

Either Isabela was truly amazing at pretending to be fine, or she was genuinely happy to be here with Mariano.

After taking her boyfriend's order, you start preparing their drinks, Tristán busy in the kitchen. You add a little bit more sweetener to Isabela's drink, taking her as someone who enjoyed it based on your conversation from earlier.

With their food and drinks on a tray, you head to their table, Isabela perking up as she notices. "Sorry for the wait." You whisper as you set it down on the table gently.

"Don't worry, we didn't wait long." She smiles and takes a sip of the drink you recommended, her eyes lighting up after a second. "Wow, this is amazing. You've just earned yourself another regular."