Chapter 1

Jenna Gilmore smoothed her black dress out as she stood up. "I'm sorry Matt. It's just not going to work anymore. It's not you, it's me." She grabbed her clutch purse and strode out of the dark restaurant into the night. If she took one more look at his deep brown eyes, and tousled brown hair she might regret what she had done.

She took a suffocating breath of air when she stepped outside. She needed to get to her car. Turn on a light. The darkness was terrifying.

"Jenna!" She heard Matt's call. "Jenna, where are you? Come back!"

Jenna spotted her car and hurried to it, her heels clicking on the concrete.

"Jenna!"

She slid into her car, powered it up, and drove off.

~~~~~

Matt Proger flopped onto his desk. It had been a week since the breakup. It had only been ten dates, why was he so flustered?

Because she's Jenna.

And it was ten dates.

Matt sighed. He still felt responsible for her being abducted on their first date. Him and his partner, Blake Tanner had been investigating a case about smuggled weapons and they went to dinner with the governor, because they suspected his son was involved. Turns out, the governor was involved as well. He had taken Blake and Jenna into captivity and kept them in a room full of terror. Thankfully, Matt was able to get some help from other police officers and agents to rescue them and put a stop to the weapon smuggling. They also had arrested the governor and his son. And once Jenna had been rescued Matt took her on more dates to make up for it. And then he realized how much he liked her.

And then she'd broken up with him.

He'd called her seven times, drove up to her house, even followed her, but he couldn't go to the extreme or he'd terrify her.

Just like he had done before. He had known Jenna for roughly three hours before she'd been abducted. She was extroverted, funny, a jokester, and talked about everything that was on her mind. Blake had assured him that she was like that all the time. And now Jenna was introverted, shy, got scared at everything, and shut everyone out. She rarely talked.

And it was all his fault.

"You still stuck up on Jenna?" Blake asked, sitting down.

Matt scowled at him.

Blake held his hands in surrender, "Right. Sorry." Blake paused and looked at the picture of his wife on his desk. Matt watched him stare at it. The picture had been there all of one week and it was taking up Blake's time.

"Blake? Earth to Blake?" Matt waved a hand in the air. "You've been married, what? Three months? Not even."

Blake turned, "So? I still love her. I always will."

Matt groaned, "Save the love story for someone else."

"Fine." Blake grinned. Then he turned serious, "Jenna still not talking to you?"

"No."

"I could ask Nicole to stop by and talk to her. Maybe she could tell you what's up." Blake suggested.

Matt gave a grim smile, "That would be nice."

Blake read his thoughts. "It wasn't your fault. How were you supposed to know we'd be abducted? That the governor was behind it?"

"I didn't. I should have been more cautious in who I took with me to that dinner. You obviously are fine. She's not. If I had taken another cop with me instead of Jenna as my date, none of this would have happened."