Chapter 14

"How about takeout at my place?" Matt suggested. They always ended up at Jenna's and he wanted to show her his place. And a small surprise.

"Sure."

Matt looked around the parking lot. "Where's your car?"

"I took the bus."

He looked at her, "The bus?" She was usually nervous around strangers and unfamiliar places. This was new.

"Yeah. The tire on my car is flat." Jenna had a sheepish smile on her face.

Matt held the door open for her, "You could have called me you know." He wasn't very comfortable with the idea of her riding the bus. Even though they had caught Harmond, his empty threats sent warning bells off in his head.

"I know. But I was in a hurry and the bus stop was close."

"Okay." He needed to remember that she was an independent woman. He couldn't be there for her all the time. But he wanted to.

"Yep. So what do you want for dinner?"

"You pick."

Jenna groaned, "Stop being a gentleman."

"It's my nature."

"I don't want to pick. Surprise me."

Matt flipped open the sunglasses compartment and slid on his aviators. "Do I look like a gentleman now?"

Jenna took him all in. "You look like a...macho cop man."

He laughed. "Isn't that what I am?"

She slapped his shoulder, "Oh whatever."

The drive home went by quickly. He filled Jenna in on the day's happenings and she responded with hers. They swung by a small Chinese takeout place and grabbed a few things. Then, they arrived at Matt's home. It was a small, two story place, with gray paint. Inside had mismatched furniture in an open layout. The kitchen had granite countertops and dark wood cupboards. The dining room was part of the open layout. There was a large flat screen TV on the mantle. The walls had simple decorations on the white paint.

"I like your house." Jenna looked around, admiring the place.

Maybe it was just him, but Matt liked the way Jenna fit in the place. She livened it up, and had only been in it for a couple minutes. "Would you like to eat at the island?"

Jenna shook her head. "The living room please."

Matt was slightly disappointed. Always in the living room, they sat so far away from each other. In the kitchen, at least they were only inches away. "That's okay with me." They divided the food evenly and Matt took his place on the edge of the couch. "Sit wherever you want."

To his great surprise and delight, Jenna sat right next to him and leaned her head against his shoulder as she ate. Matt was distracted while he was eating. It was hard to focus when she was right there.

After dinner, he dumped the trash into the garbage bin and took his place next to Jenna. Even more surprising was that she snuggled next to him. What made it so surprising was that she never let people get close. He knew firsthand. At the dinner a while back, when he offered his arm, she took it but kept at least six inches of distance. At the Royal Gorge, the closest he got was holding her hand and there was plenty of distance. But now, he could practically sigh. It was too much to ask.

"You seem surprised." Her soft voice echoed in the silence.

"You've never sat this close to me before."