Chapter 12

Jenna thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the night. Matt and Blake had not stepped another toe out of line but Nicole and Jenna were planning a way to get them back.

When the couples had parted, Jenna feared for Blake as she knew Nicole would just as well follow through on her threat for Blake to sleep on the couch. Matt drove her home and they shared a companionable silence.

"So..." Matt walked her slowly up to her front door.

Jenna figured she knew what was coming. Her heart sped up a notch and she looked deep into Matt's eyes.

Matt's expecting eyes.

"So...what?"

"I've been waiting patiently for over a month now. You also promised me a long time ago."

"Promised you what?" Jenna said casually. She knew exactly what. Exactly.

"That thing where these," Matt tapped his lips, "Kiss yours."

Jenna took a step back and found herself trapped against the wall of the house. Matt zoned in on her. Jenna's lips slightly parted, then she clamped them shut. She tried to play hard to get, and it had worked a little bit. But she so wanted him. There was not much else to it. She wanted him in her life. "I vaguely remember saying something of the sort." Darn it. She hadn't been able to stop her voice from shaking.

Matt had heard it. He smiled. "Do I have such an effect on you that your voice shakes?
"I would be lying if I said no."

All Matt did was take a step closer. Jenna was convinced he could hear her heart. Matt's arm came around her and pulled her to him. "So can I collect the kiss?"

"Too late to back out now." Jenna smiled at him. Last time he kissed her, it had been quick. She savored the point two seconds his lips were on hers. Now she could have something better to dream about.

Matt leaned down and kissed her tenderly. Jenna's hand found its way around his neck and Matt tightened his hold around her waist. Matt deepened the kiss and Jenna felt tingles all the way down to her toes.

Reluctantly, she pulled herself away from him. Matt pressed his forehead against hers. "You kiss great."

She let out a small laugh. "Says you." She was going to say something else, but when she saw the look in Matt's eyes, she lost all sense of her surroundings.

"I could kiss you senseless right now." His voice was husky.

Jenna understood now what Nicole meant when she talked about a man being romantic. Except she believed no one could be as romantic as Matt was being right now.

"I should let you get some rest."

"I don't want to keep you."

Matt turned from his spot on the steps. "You would never keep me too late."

Jenna smiled at the softness of the words. "Goodnight Matt."

"Sweet dreams, Jen."

Jenna watched him go silently.

~~~~~

Matt laid in bed that night feeling victorious. Well Father. I did it. I finally kissed the woman of my dreams. Oh, and I loved it. Please, if it is your will, let me continue this relationship. Thank you so much for blessing me in my life. I love you.

He wished he could call Jenna and talk her to sleep. Her voice was sweet as honey, she smelled like heaven, her laugh was gold, and don't get him started on her lips.

His phone buzzed with an incoming text from Blake.

                                           YOU KISSED HER?!

Matt was confused at the all caps and how Blake knew. Then he remembered Jenna was Nicole's best friend and Nicole and Blake didn't keep secrets from each other. He responded in kind:

                                                             YES I DID

                                            Why??

                                                             Why not? I like her a lot.

                                            You do realize the emotional stuff she might being going through because of Harmond right?

                                                             I do. But I asked her permission first. And who are you to talk?

                                            Touché. I think she is a good match for you so don't mess this up.

Matt continued to chat with Blake for a few minutes more before Blake decided to turn in. Matt laid in bed silently wondering what Jenna was doing this very moment, if she was thinking about him, if-

"What's wrong with you man? You're acting all lovesick and gross. Knock it off." He struggled to get his mind off Jenna, no matter how hard he tried. Any thoughts about Harmond just led him straight back to Jenna. Matt managed to fall asleep some time later, after many tosses and turns.

~~~~~

The screams echoed in the room. This time Jenna could hear her own screams mingled into the mix. Governor Harmond entered the room with a gun and a twisted smile on his face. The next thing she heard was the sound of her own screams alone.

Jenna woke up with a start. Her lungs hurt from screaming. The dreams were coming back. She felt sweaty and scared.

"Why me God?" She called out into the dark room. She had managed to be able to fall asleep in the dark and things were less scary.

Now it was terrifying.

She grabbed the phone off her nightstand. "Come on. Answer." Jenna bit her lip, nervous. Her heart was pounding, her nerves shot.

"Jenna?" Matt answered at the last second. She heard the sleep in his voice.

"I had a nightmare." She rocked back and forth in her bed. She would not cry, she would not cry, she would not cry.

She was crying.

"Oh honey, don't cry. It's going to be okay. I promise."

"You promise?" She hated crying. She hated how she sounded. Especially in front of Matt.

"I promise."

~~~~~

Two weeks later, Matt followed his squad up the stairs of the ghetto apartment. They were going to get Raphael today. They were going to stop this.

"Level three, apartment fifteen. He doesn't know we're coming." Matt registered Blake's voice saying that.

"We checked the place clear for bombs?" Samantha asked.

"Yes." Another cop replied.

Matt took in the surroundings. A tiny hallway. All the residents evacuated for safety. Raphael may have a gun. But they had gear. And skill.

Paige Fisher, the regional hostage negotiator, stepped up to Raphael's apartment and knocked on the door. He answered. "Hello?"

Matt was so close. He wanted to run up and throttle the guy. One look at Blake said they had the same train of thought.

"Mr. Harmond, you are under arrest." Paige seemed bored. Typical negotiator move. Matt wondered if she went through the same trauma Grace Grant went through.

"Excuse me?" Harmond sneered. "You are going to arrest me?" He laughed. "Nice one."

Paige delivered a punch to Harmond's jaw that knocked him to the ground. She strode off. "He's all yours."