Chapter 2

Matt stared at Jenna. So much for that. "I'm not going anywhere."

A fifty-something man, slightly overweight, with salt-and-pepper gray hair, about the same height as Jenna, came out from the kitchen, wiping his hands on a towel. "Is there a problem?"

Jenna stood up taller and stared Matt down. "No, not at all. This man was just leaving."

Matt narrowed his eyes and reluctantly left. He slammed his car door and laid his forehead on the steering wheel. How was he going to get Jenna to take him back? It was the only way he could protect her without her knowing what really was going on.

He drove back to the office and ran into Nicole Tanner, Blake's wife, entering at the same time he was. "Hi Nicole."

Nicole turned to him, practically glowing. Marriage suited her well. "Hi. Is Blake inside?"

"Yes. I can take you to him."

"Awesome." Nicole followed Matt up the stairs and down a few halls, then into Blake and Matt's office.

Blake looked up when they entered, and broke into a smile. "Nicole."

She grinned and gave him a kiss. "Hi."

"Newlyweds." Matt muttered, then turned to his work.

Blake pried himself away from his wife and turned to Matt. "No luck?"

"She won't give me the time of day."

"And she doesn't know about Harmond?" Nicole inquired.

"Nope. If I tell her, she'll go ballistic." Matt fingered the two-by-three picture of Jenna Blake had snagged for him.

"I could talk to her and try to get her to change her mind." Nicole offered. "We could invite her to dinner."

Blake shook his head. "No. She wouldn't talk, not so much as look in my direction."

"Why not?" Matt wondered aloud.

"Since the abduction, I think she's embarrassed because she freaked out. I don't blame her, anyone in her place would." Blake answered.

"Ohh."

"Yep."

"Or, you could catch Harmond and get rid of him before Jenna even suspects a thing." Nicole countered.

Blake gave a small grin, "The whole reason that Matt is trying to talk to her is not just to protect her, but to win her back."

Nicole made an 'o' shape with her mouth. Then smiled slightly, "I see."

Matt felt the heat at the bottom of his neck start to rise. He stood. "I'll leave you two lovebirds alone. Maybe I'll send flowers to her place or something."

As he left, he heard Blake's voice. "Flowers worked for me."

~~~~~

Jenna leaned her back against her front door. A text from Nicole saying she was bringing food for dinner. Just what she needed. Not. Charlie had saved her hide from Matt earlier today, then said nothing about it. The rest of the work day had gone smoothly. But now Nicole was coming over and she had no excuse to get out of it. It wasn't that she was avoiding Nicole...

No, she was avoiding Nicole. Jenna didn't want to see her. Nicole would likely say something about her husband, Blake, and Jenna would freeze up from horrible memories. And she had no doubt Matt would be mentioned.

God, please help me get through this night.

Jenna brushed her blonde hair and set the dinner table. At six, she heard the doorbell ring. Snickers brushed his tail past Jenna's leg as she opened the door. "Hi Nicole."