Chapter 8

Jenna felt her chest tighten. Her grip on Matt's shirt tightened and her eyes squeezed shut. All of a sudden the darkness she had overcome felt threatening.

The lights suddenly came on. Matt was looking down at her. "Stay inside, lock the door and close all the blinds." He instructed.

"What? Why?"

But he was already out the door. Jenna locked the door and closed the blinds, but peeked out one. Her neighbor, Mrs. Pennyworth, was running out of her house, white as a sheet. Matt caught the elderly lady before she slipped in a puddle. Mrs. Pennyworth pointed to her house and was explaining something to Matt.

Jenna suddenly didn't feel so safe in her home. Like someone was there. She picked up Snickers, who was stalking by. "Who's there?"

Snickers purred.

God? Is someone here? Protect me.

Something in the back of her house made a noise. Jenna jumped. Her heart pounding, she grabbed the nearest thing, which was a glass vase. Snickers jumped from her arms and ran towards the back of the house. "Snickers! No!" Jenna hissed.

The front door opened and Jenna spun around to face it, the vase raised above her head. Matt's eyes widened and he ran over to her and took the vase out of her hands. "Get in my car. Right now."

His harsh tone scared her. He grabbed her arm and pulled her outside. "Matt! Stop!"

Something about the panic in her voice caused him to stop pulling. He looked at her and his expression softened. "Sorry. I'll explain in the car."

Sirens wailed and Jenna saw the flashing lights pull into her neighborhood. She winced at the loud noise, but was shoved into Matt's car faster than she could blink.

Matt got into the drivers side and backed out. He drove over to the police cruisers and explained a few things and then some men ran over to Jenna's home. Then, he drove out of the neighborhood.

"Will you please tell me what's going on?" She cried out.

Matt's jaw tensed. "Someone broke into Mrs. Pennyworth's home, and I saw them run to your place next."

"Why didn't you go after him?"

"Because he was going after you. I had to get you out of there and get other people in there."

"But Snickers! Ted! My stuff!"

"Will all be okay. You're going to spend the night at Nicole and Blake's house."

Jenna froze. "Oh no. Oh no no no. I am not. I. Am. Not."

"Yes. You. Are."

"I can't spend the night there! I'm not familiar with the house! The sounds! It's not my bed!"

"I know it's not. But Nicole will make sure you're okay." He reassured. "I'm sorry."

Jenna stared at him. "Stop saying that!"

"Saying what?" Matt turned onto the interstate.

"That you're sorry! Every time something happens you say you're sorry! Everytime! Stop pitying me! I can take care of myself!" Jenna was boiling with anger.

Matt turned to her, aghast, "You can't take care of yourself!"

"I can too!"

"Not when your life's on the line!" He raised his voice.

"My life is not on the line!" Jenna shouted.

"It is! Raphael Harmond is out of jail and after you, Jenna! Your life's on the line!"