Chapter 15

Jenna closed the door behind her. She had an enjoyable night. Something she hadn't had in a long, long time. I really like him, God. As in, I really like him. Maybe love? So now what?

Her eyes settled on Ted. "Did you know that there's a friend for you at Matt's house?"

Ted's empty stuffed eyes stared back at her.

"Oh don't give me the cold shoulder now. You'll like her."

Jenna smiled to herself. "Snickers? Here kitty kitty. Sorry I'm late. Mommy's home. Want some food?"

She waited. No sign of her cat. She looked around the house. "Come on kitty. Here Snickers. Come on out."

Snickers wasn't in any of the rooms. She had yet to check the master bedroom. Jenna started out in the bathroom, then she moved to her closet. "Snickers?"

Jenna pulled her phone out of her pocket. "Matt? Hi. I can't find Snickers."

"Don't worry. I'm sure he'll show up. Maybe he's sleeping." Matt reassured.

"You sure?"

"Yes. Just get some sleep. He'll be okay. Cats have nine lives, you know."

"Ha-ha. Very funny." Jenna exited her closet and closed the door. Her eyes adjusted to the dark room. "Hmm, I thought I turned the light on."

"Everything okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I just-" She heard the unmistakable sound of doors slamming and a deadbolt clicking shut. "Matt?"

"Jenna? I can't hear you. You're breaking up-"

The line went dead.

Jenna looked around in the darkness. "Hello? Snickers?"

She felt her way along the ground and her hand moved to the wall.

And something was wrong.

The drywall wasn't drywall.

It was concrete.

~~~~~

Matt looked at the phone in his hand. That was weird. It just hung up. He tried calling her again but all he got was her voicemail.

"Hi this is Jenna, please leave a message."

Matt grumbled and pressed the hang-up button. "What's going on?"

'You're too late. She's still going to die. There's nothing you can do about it.' That's all that rang through his mind.

He needed to go see Raphael Harmond.

A quick glance at the clock proved it to be almost eleven at night. Raphael was about to have a rough night.

Matt grabbed his car keys, gun, and phone and headed out the door.

~~~~~

Jenna knew what was happening. She slunk to the ground, shivering. It was just like before. Cold, dark, empty, and all that was left were the-

Blood curdling screams echoed through the bedroom.

"No!" Jenna screamed. She covered her ears and put her head between her knees. "No! Stop!"

Five agonizing minutes later, they stopped.

Jenna got up the courage to stand. There was no Blake here this time to think up a plan. She needed to get out of this on her own.

Her phone wouldn't turn on, no matter how much she tried. Jenna moved her hand along the cold concrete to try to find her closet or bathroom door.

Nothing.

What was going on? Her bedroom was transformed into some sort of prison. The darkness engulfed her.

Fear penetrated her body. Every inch of it. Horrible memories flooded back and Jenna couldn't shut them out.

"No, no, stop!"

She tripped and fell to the floor. Scrambling to a corner, Jenna curled into a small ball. Only so much time until the screams.

Why was this happening? Raphael Harmond was in jail. His father was too. There was no way that this could be happening. Was it all a dream?

"Jenna Gilmore. What a pleasure to have you here again."

Jenna knew that voice. Who was it?

"I'm sorry we have to meet again in such awful circumstances, but Raphael wanted things his way. It's a shame to say that your last hours will be in his place. You had such a life ahead of you. But, well rules are rules. Be thankful that your death will be quick and easy."

Jenna tried to make out where the voice was coming from. As her eyes adjusted to the dark, she saw a small vent by where her door would be. "Who are you?" She called out.

"That's for me to know and you to find out m'dear. Now sit back, relax, and enjoy the show."

Jenna's body shivered in fear and she knew what was next.

The screams.

This time, they bounced off the walls like never before.

"No! Make it stop!" Jenna yelled. "No!" She covered her ears and rocked her body.

They grew louder and her ears started to ring.

~~~~~

Of course, just his luck, Matt had to wait for ages to see Raphael. He paced the empty conference room until two security guards brought a struggling Raphael Harmond into the room. They dropped him onto a chair and cuffed him to the table.

Matt read Harmond his rights then stared directly at him.

Raphael sneered, "You're too late. She's still going to die. There's nothing you can do about it."

The words haunted Matt for the umpteenth time. "Stop saying that."

"It's been done. She's going to die. Either today or tomorrow."

"What did you do to her cat?"

Raphael smirked.

Matt jumped up. "What did you do to her cat?" He bellowed.

Raphael leaned back a bit, "Settle down, settle down. I didn't do anything to her cat. I'm surprised it's her cat you're worried about, not her. What did that lady cop call her, the love of your life? Was that it?"

Matt closed his eyes and took three deep breaths. God, please tell me what is going on. I don't understand. Is Jenna in danger? Should I be protecting her? "Tell me what those stupid threats mean."

Raphael raised a brow, "Oh so now you want to listen?"

Matt was ticked. "Just tell me."

"I already did. She's going to die. And it will be all your fault for not protecting her. You were assigned to protect her weren't you? At least she'll die in a familiar place. She'll have that bear, Ted, won't she?"

Matt's stomach dropped. He had just delivered Jenna straight into the hands of her killer.

~~~~~

Jenna was too scared to cry. Too scared to think, to do anything. All she did was think about the guilt Matt would face when she died.

God, is Heaven as gorgeous as the Bible says it is? Mom will be there, right? Does dying hurt? If so, make it quick.

"I've heard talking helps when you are in grave peril."

Jenna's head jolted up at the sound of the voice.

"I know this place is scary. But I think other people have had it worse. Life is short. Too short."

Jenna thought fast. "Let me go and I'll disappear. To a different country even. Please."

"You won't die from the screams. Your death will be a lot quicker, I assure you."

"Who even are you?!" Jenna shouted.

"Me? I suppose if you knew my name, things would be easier. I'm Lanie Harmond."