30 - you really do

Hayden looks

Hayden looks...nervous.

It kept me a little on edge as he just took a deep breath and crossed the room. He leaned against the headboard as he sat in his bed, patting the spot beside him.

I slowly walked towards him, crawling on the bed until I sat beside his legs, facing him. I tucked my legs under my butt, waiting patiently.

Hayden presses his hands to his face, letting go of a breath before pushing them through his hair and looking back at me.

"Do you know the reason why I moved here?"

Guilt immediately flooded. I didn't. And Brooks tried to tell me something when I first expressed my hatred towards Hayden, but I dismissed him.

I didn't even wanna know that about him then.

And now, here I am, practically at the edge of my seat so he can tell me.

Oh, how the tables have turned.

"No," I look down to my lap. "I was so caught up in hating you, I never really got to know why."

"It's okay." Hayden says, way too understanding. "I mean, I just thought you were a spoiled brat who got everything she wanted. I guess we both jumped to pretty nasty conclusions about each other."

I snort, lifting my eyes back to his. "Appearances can be deceiving."

Hayden smiles for a moment before it vanishes. "Well, I guess to get to the point, my dad died."

I blink. Of course his dad died. It makes sense as to why he hasn't been around, or why Hayden's been hesitant to talk about him or bring him up.

"I don't want short and to the point." I swallow. "I want it all."

Hayden holds my stare for a long moment. I swear he could hear how loud my hearts beating in my chest. But he just nods.

"My mom and dad were madly in love." He smiles. "I swear, growing up, it made me wanna puke. They never seemed to let that spark die out, and looking back on it now, I actually admire that. If they disagreed, they talked about it. If they had a hard moment, they worked on it together. They just didn't give up on each other."

I smile. "That's very romantic."

Hayden smiles, a bit sad. "He would always tell me: Hayden. The way to keep a woman happy is to never stop chasing after her heart once you think you've won it. If it's real, she'll be worth it." Hayden laughs. "Then he'd tell me I'd get it when I got older."

His eyes search mine before dropping to his lap, shaking his head.

"Anyway. We were a really happy family. I had nothing to complain about, you know? My mom and dad were great, they provided me everything I needed. They loved me, supported whatever I wanted to do with myself. Taught me what I should know, corrected me when I screwed up." Hayden shakes his head. "We'd spend a lot of family time together. Honestly, I had it better than most."