drive-in bonus

Avrey wanted to hang out today and take me to the drive-in with her boyfriend and his sister

I loved my best friend, don't get me wrong. But she's been avoiding alone time with him. I know that she's told me about how she's just not feeling ready yet.

Which is totally okay. I just want her to tell him that, so she's not stringing him along. The guy looks at her like she's the best thing on this planet. If she's not feeling that moment, that deep connection with him by now? I highly doubt she will.

Obviously Landon isn't the one for her. And I try to explain it, but it doesn't work out. Avrey just waves me off and shuts down the conversation. Kind of like now.

I look over at her curiously. Because I already know the answer. I just want to see if she'll keep up the same excuse.

"Why are Landon's sister and me going with you guys? I feel like you guys haven't had a date alone in forever."

I can see the way Avrey tenses. She grinds her jaw, then she shakes her head, forcing a smile. "Yeah, but I like hanging out with you. And his sister is cool. So why not all hang out?"

Knew it.

"Okay. I'm just saying. Sometimes alone time is what you need." I sigh. "Even if it's just to talk through whatever it is you're feeling."

I tell her this a lot. And she always says she knows, but she still doesn't do anything about it. She says that she just needs more time and that it'll be fine, it's just in her head.

But it's not. And it's okay if she's not attracted to him. She just needs to end things before they get worse. 

"I know." She says with a sigh.

We drive the rest of the way in silence. When we get to the drive-in, I say a quick hello to Bethany, Landon's sister. Avrey and Landon set up camp on the back of his truck, but I quickly find comfort in the heat of Avrey's car. Oddly enough, even this late into spring, the night air is chilly.

Bethany quickly excused herself from the car to get something to snack on, so I open my phone, rereading my last texts to Hayden. He said he was gonna run an errand, but it's been twenty minutes since my last message.

I sigh, sending another text, asking him if he got lost. I lock my phone, looking back to the screen. It wasn't long before I see someone jump beside the truck bed, causing Avrey to scream. I narrow my eyes, not believing what I was seeing.

I get out of the car, fighting a smile. "This is why you asked what I was doing and where I was? So you could interrupt our movie?" I cross my arms. "So immature, big brother."

"Not the only reason." He smiles, looking behind behind me.

Furrowing my brows, I turn around. And when I see Hayden standing there, I swear my heart stopped, yet started beating faster at the same time.

What's Mine | ✓On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara