41 - mine

Being in love was something I wasn't expecting, especially this early in life

I was always content with being alone; hooking up was one thing—simple, easy. No strings attached and no having to answer to anyone.

At least, that's what I always thought.

But I see that was just a front that I used. Really, I was afraid of someone seeing all of me and it not being good enough. My selfishness, my temper, my animalistic hunger that's intense. I was scared to let someone in and them run away, telling me I was too broken for them.

Now? Now I know how wrong I was.

I craved to be accepted, but put on a front, acting as if I didn't care. I wanted to be truly seen and loved for it despite my flaws. And I've concluded that this is how all people are, too, no matter what they do or say to convince people otherwise.

I was one of those people, acting like love is overrated. Acting as if I didn't want that in life.

I'm a fraud.

Because as I sit here, looking at Lina Andrews, that's all I want with her. And I was a phony to ever say otherwise.

Lina Andrews is the absolute love of my life. I know she's it for me. There's just something about being with the person you're supposed to be with that feels different. You just know without a shadow of doubt.

Lina has seen my good and my bad. And she still chooses me. She wants to be with me as much as I want to be with her. She may not say it, but I can feel it.

Her eyes scan the room, landing on mine, and immediately I get flooded with butterflies making a shit storm in my stomach. She's the only person who can make my heart race like this, make me wanna cross the room and haul her ass upstairs so she's only mine.

Her smile is small, but still makes me grin. Cause it's a smile just for me.

I take her in slowly: hair purposefully curled, blue eyes popping out against her dark makeup, lips dark red and tempting. Her sinful body is being confined to a maroon colored dress with long sleeves and a deep v-neck, exposing her cleavage. Her long legs were on display, the dress barely coming down to her mid thigh.

It also rode up a little when she bent forward, or especially when she was swaying her hips back and forth to the music.

I didn't even realize the tight grip I had on my phone until Brooks' obnoxiously loud laugh brought me back to reality. I turn to the side, Brooks still talking to the same ginger he has been all night.

Avrey wasn't wrong. Lots of uppity people at this party. I swear, one girl looked at my shoes and scoffed. I snorted as she walked away. But the ginger didn't seem as bad.

"Football scholarship, huh?" She sucks in a breath. "Must be really good for people to throw money at you."

Brooks cockily smiles, shrugging. "I'm alright."