viii. heavier

Snow cascaded from the sky, blanketing the world around Kaneki in a thick layer of white. He could hear the muffled noises of quinques, reverting back to their original form as a silver briefcase.

The form that was cradled against his body felt like it grew heavier. Kaneki let his jaded eyes drift downwards towards the tan cloth, covering the other's body. His grip tightened on the other's neck as the cloth blew away, a cold breeze blowing through. He didn't want to see it. He didn't want to see Hide's expression.

But he saw it anyway.

Hide's pallid face was twisted into an expression of peace, lips parted slightly. His eyes were closed, and his long lashes started to capture flecks of snow.

Kaneki gazed at him, despair and sadness clawing through his throat. Hide could've lived. He didn't have to search for him. Hide could've lived. And he didn't. And it's his fault, because he should have called Hide and said, don't look for me. And maybe he would've listened then, and he wouldn't have been killed.

Kaneki looked down at the crimson bleeding wound on Hide's side, and he jerked his head back up. He fought back the tears that threatened to fall. Here he was, holding his deceased best friend. Here they were, one of them dead and one of them about to meet the same fate.

What happened?

What happened to the days where they listened to music with a pair earphones, one in Hide's ear and the other in his? What happened to when Hide used to lay his head on Kaneki's lap and asked, "Will you sing for me?" Then Kaneki would sing softly, so, so softly, only so that the two of them could hear it. And he would sing, "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine." What happened to those days when they would eat out at Big Girl or drink coffee or reminisce over past memories?

What happened to those days?

Kaneki cradled Hide's limp body closer to his, wondering if he'll ever find warmth in his friend's body ever again. Hide was his best friend. His home. His sunshine. He didn't deserve this.

Hide grew heavier in Kaneki's hands.

(A/N, I can't write smut I'm so embarrassed when writing it okay sorry one day though, one day.)