Capítulo Cinco: O Acordo

Hey, everyone, I realized I made a huge error in this chapter with Gem's brothers apparently rediscovering she was abused when there was, like, two whole chapters dedicated solely to her past. I'm making edits now to try and fix that giant mistake. I apologize profusely and hope you guys can forgive me.

Thank you to those who pointed this out! It would've taken me forever to find this on my own.

There are a few bits that are different so you if you reread at any point and go "Hey, that didn't happen," well, now it has. If you don't reread, that's fine. It's nothing huge so don't even worry about what you missed.

"No."

"Yes."

"No!"

"Yes!"

"Absolutely not!"

"Absolutely... Yes?"

"Gemma, I said no."

"And I said yes. I think my opinion counts more than your's does at this particular moment."

"I'm your legal guardian, my opinion is doubly more important." Tobias pinched the bridge of his nose between two fingers. I bit my laughter back and continued to stand on my bed, hands on my hips as I looked him in the face.

Was I standing on my hospital bed wearing an itchy dress? Yes, yes I was. I wanted to be able to look Tobias in the face while we argued. It seemed fair.

"I want to talk to Janie or Janice or whatever her name is. You let me talk to the police about George already." I pointed out, shifting from foot to foot to remain balanced on the seriously lumpy bed.

"The police didn't give us much of a choice." Zion spoke up from where he was typing out a work email in the corner, sitting down in one of those uncomfortable recliners every hospital room has. I made a face at his words.

"Oh come on, we all know you guys could've stopped them if you wanted to." I scowled. It wasn't fair that they were letting me talk to who they wanted to but not who I wanted to talk to. It wasn't like I was inviting a serial killer into my room, it was my social worker who was growing increasingly impatient.

Damian skipped into the room, instantly stopping when he saw where I was standing. The color in his face drained and he swept me up, picking me up by my underarms, and setting me down gently on the floor.

"Let's not fall and break a bone when we're this close to escaping." Damian advised, holding his fingers ridiculously close together.

A knock on the door quieted whatever Tobias was about to say. We all turned to watch an older lady with frizzy grey hair and warm eyes enter the room, a manila folder clasped tightly in her hands. Her eyes widened behind glasses at the sight of three of my four intimidating brothers packed into a tiny room.

Sinclair was bringing me a burger, since Damian had forgotten in the three hours he was gone yesterday.

"Am I in the right room?" The woman, I was guessing Janice or Janie, asked. I nodded happily, easilyignoring my brother. spluttering at the unexpected sight of my uninvited social worker. Well, what he thought was an uninvited social worker. Little did he know that I'd gotten my hands on Zion's phone and emailed the poor woman.

Zion still hadn't changed his password from 1234. Silly boy.

"If you're looking for Gemma Perigoso, then yes, you're in the right room." I smirked up at my aghast big brother. Poor Tobias wasn't used to people going against what he said, defying his orders.

Janice took a hesitant seat in the faux leather recliner that Zion vacated in favor of my bed. I sat on my bed beside him, leaning my head against his chest unconsciously. His hand moved over my head, brushing my hair from my face and then smoothing all the knots out.