Capítulo Vinte e Cinco: A Tradução

Gemma's POV:

"What's going on?" I asked, setting down my purple crayon. Damian shushed me, but didn't stop watching Tobias and the other man's conversation. Tobias didn't look too happy, so I guessed that something went wrong. 

Tobias dismissed the man after a few minutes of speaking. 

The door shut with a thud that sent my stomach plummeting to my feet. 

"Do we need to leave again?" Zion asked, all business. Tobias shook his head, sending a hand through his hair with a huff.

"No, we're safe here. The idiot who just came in here was telling me that the Ukrainians went back to the house in a second wave, still looking for us. My men scared them away. And then one of my men figured out that the new attackers weren't Ukrainians." Tobias explained, rolling his eyes. His nonchalant attitude was kinda freaking me out.

"Is no one worried about the fact that several people have tried to kill you in the last few days?" I asked, raising a hand like I was in school. 

Tobias chuckled, shaking his head. 

Forgive me for being cautious. 

"Honey, I'm on top for a reason. These guys aren't that big of a deal." Tobias waved my worries away. I bit my bottom lip, not so sure of my family's safety, but accepted it anyways. 

Why did I have a feeling I would regret this? Oh yeah, because the other shoe was always destined to drop.

"Who were they?" Sinclair asked, crossing his arms across his chest. He was leaning against a wall, his ankles crossed. He didn't look bothered, just curious. 

"They were organized like a cartel. Sounded like a Mexican Cartel, but I can't be sure." Tobias said. 

I tensed up. I prayed no one saw my change of attitude. The last thing I needed was for them to ask me any questions about how and why I knew members of a Mexican drug cartel. That wouldn't be a fun story to explain.

"What the hell is a cartel doing bothering you? I thought you scared them all off your territory years ago?" Zion piped up, cocking his head as his eyebrows furrowed. I froze, my joints stiff with the hope that Tobias had some type of beef with a cartel he hadn't mentioned yet. 

I really hoped these weren't the guys after me. 

That would be hard to explain.

"I thought I did too. Apparently they have more balls than I originally gave them credit for." Tobias shrugged, still looking unconcerned by this new problem. I watched each brother carefully, gauging their individual reactions to the news.

I needed to know what they thought before spilling my guts. 

"You gonna talk to them or just send your men after them?" Damian asked, moving a dagger almost fluidly through his fingers. It was amazing to watch. But what was funny was how easily they adjusted to me knowing about them. 

I said I knew about their lives outside of being brothers, and they started talking freely around me and waving deadly weapons around.

"They already attacked my home. There's not going to be much of a discussion." Tobias promised with a dark chuckle. My eyes widened at the sound. I'd never heard my brother sound so dangerous. 

"They know who you are, I know they do. So why would they take such a large risk, such as attacking your home? They know this could lead to a war." Sinclair pointed out, rubbing his chin in thought. 

I kept my lips tightly sealed together. 

There were some secrets that my brothers just didn't need to know about.