Chapter 24

"Can I ask you a question?" Stefan began as he and Percy sat in Caroline's dining room as they waited for the girl to finish getting ready for school.

"Hm?" Percy raised an eyebrow from where he was lounging against the table, three empty coffee cups around him and a fourth half-full one nestled in his arms. "Bit late."

The vampire shrugged, running a hand through his hair. "Never really the right time. Don't laugh but... What are you?"

The human leaned back in his chair, balancing it on two legs. "Well... I didn't expect for you to go with that one first. Let's see..."

"If you respect me, even a little bit, you won't lie to me."

"I do respect you." Percy assured as he tilted his head. "I'm just trying to figure out the best way to explain this..." He perked up a bit, grinning at his friend. "How about this, why don't you guess what I am? I'm not human, you're right about that." He crossed his arms, letting his chair drop down back on four legs. "But I'm not what's classically considered a monster," He gestured lazily to Stefan. "Like vampires and stuff."

Stefan tilted his head, feeling a grin make its way onto his face. "Feels weird that you're admitting to knowing what I am. When did you figure it out?"

"When we first met. You're very pretty."

"I- Thank you?"

Percy shrugged. "You fit the stereotype of pretty vampires. Damon, too." He stood up, pushing his chair back in as he shouldered his backpack. "Speaking of Damon, he's here to pick me up. Don't freak out too much, Stefan. Nothing has changed."

Caroline walked in after he left, looking a bit put out. "He left? I thought we were going to school together?"

"He said Damon was here." Stefan said, grabbing the half-finished coffee cup that Percy left. 

"Did he say something to scare you again?" She pointed at him, raising an eyebrow. "You're doing the face you do when he does."

"Something like that... He just confirmed some shit for me, that's all."

The woman hummed, reaching in the fridge to grab two packed lunches; one labeled with her name and the other with Stefan's. "Here, mom made this for you. She didn't make one for Percy cause Elena's aunt usually makes him something."

Stefan felt emotion well up in his chest, but he managed a smile, taking the sack lunch from her. "Thanks. I, uh, don't really feel like eating school food today."

"...Percy gave you indigestion, didn't he?"

Those words startled a laugh out of Stefan, who nearly toppled out of his chair in surprise. "What? No! Maybe? Can he... Can he do that?"

She threw her hands up in the air, nearly launching her own sack lunch at the ceiling. "Have you seen the way he...?" She made a vague gesture towards her eyes and Stefan nodded solemnly.

"I have. It's really creepy but at least it isn't directed at us anymore... Much," He added belatedly as he thought more about it. "He said he respected me."

Caroline's head whipped around towards him so fast, Stefan thought he heard an audible crack. "What? When?"

"This morning. I thought I was dying."

"Maybe you are." She shuffled forward, poking him once on the forehead before moving down to poke his cheek. "You seem fine to me."

Stefan swatted her hand away, fighting a smirk when she quickly moved to poke his other cheek. "Stop it! It's not funny."

"Sorry, sorry, you have dimples!" She leaned forward a bit, not too close to be uncomfortable but close enough to be past acceptable social norms. "Well, just the one. I guess nobody's perfect."

The vampire leaned back, full offense on his face. "Excuse you, I'm goddamn pretty! Percy even said so."

Caroline solemnly patted his cheek, shaking her head. "Oh, honey, he lied. You have a funny face and a weird voice."

"...I'm going to go cry now."

"Save it for the science. Heard we have a quiz."

"We have a what?!"

xx

Damon was about seventy five percent sure that Percy was mad at him.

Well, it was more around eighty percent, but he was determined to ignore the fact that the number was going up because it was just giving him anxiety. He had bought a large thermos while Percy was out with Caroline and Stefan, and the label had advertised that it could hold up to three bottles of water inside.

He filled it with coffee.

Yes, he was aware that Percy had undoubtedly raided Caroline's kitchen for caffeine, and he was even more aware that he was standing outside of said house thinking all this, but anxiety was a bitch. 

It turned out; Damon didn't have to worry at all because Percy had taken one look at him and thrown himself on top of the vampire like he hadn't seen him in days. He chuckled, his breathing strained slightly when the human had hugged him tightly, and he leaned back to look at his boyfriend fully. He gently stroked his cheek with his thumb. "You got a piercing?"

"I got a few." Percy corrected mildly as he leaned into the touch. "Missed you. Sorry for leaving without saying anything."

"It's fine." Damon said as if he didn't have anxiety for the last day and some hours. "Caroline kind of kept me updated."

"Kind of?"

The vampire shrugged. "She stopped sometime after the clothing store, but Stefan picked up a bit when you guys got some candles."

Percy perked up and he rummaged in his duffle bag before pulling out a decently large candle. "It's salted pretzel milkshake!"

"That's... Interesting." Damon obediently leaned forward to take a whiff of the wax light, humming and hawing at the smell. "Smells good." He laughed at his boyfriend's impatient look. He pressed his lips to the human's, feeling the piercing press against him, and closed his eyes in happiness now that his nerves were settled. "Did you at least have fun yesterday?"

His boyfriend leaned back, eyes wide. "Did you know that Stefan plays Minecraft?"

The vampire nodded slowly. "Yeah, he usually plays it on the weekends when he's not with Elena. I don't think she even knows he plays it."

"She'd probably make him stop." Percy grumbled, shuffling further in the vampire's embrace before pressing a kiss to his nose with an exaggerated "mwah!"

Damon blinked in surprise before his cheeks pinked slightly and he laughed. "Come on, you're going to be late for school."

"Pah! The American school system is a sham."

"And while I agree with that, you still need to go. What would your mom say?"

Percy pushed his boyfriend's face away from him with his hand. "Low blow, Day. Low blow."

The vampire followed him to his car, a grin on his face. "I brought you coffee. I even used the fancy beans in the boarding house."

The human stared at him for a long moment before he kissed the vampire again, scampering over to the passenger side of the vehicle. "Alright, you're forgiven."

Damon snorted, rolling his eyes. "Thanks." He started the engine, easing out of the driveway before driving towards the high school. His cheeks pinked again when Percy reached over to grab his hand like it was the most natural thing, and he brought them up to press a kiss on the back of the human's hand.

"I love you." Percy said, his grin lighting his face as he cradled his coffee in his hands.

"Are you talking to me or the coffee?"

The human laughed before leaning up to kiss Damon's temple. "You, of course."

Damon's expression morphed into something soft, his eyes the color of the sky and his cheeks the rosy color of spring. "I love you, too. Gods help me, I love you, too."

Xxxxxxxxxxx

words: 1,260

song: Sarah Smiles - Panic! At the Disco (audio)