Chapter 2

To be honest, Damon never planned on coming to the dance. Really, he had no reason to. All of the humans, with their drinking and annoyingly loud voices, were going to be packed into one area and it would have been hard for the vampire to get a decent snack.

No, he planned on staying home.

Until he remembered about the new kid.

Curiosity killed the cat, or so they say, but Damon really wanted to just take a look at who was the talk of the town in a way. The guy had managed to get his brother all wound up and wary, along with Elena as well. It was intriguing and was what made Damon want to see exactly who he was.

When he actually arrived, he could pinpoint the exact moment Stefan saw him and couldn't help but smirk. He made his way towards his little brother, intent on asking exactly where the guy was, when he spotted him. It must have been the fact that, despite the fact that people surrounded him and girls were giving him bedroom eyes, he stood alone at the edge of the clearing that drew Damon towards him.

"Hey," The eldest Salvatore smiled at the black-haired teen, who glanced at him with bright green eyes. "Haven't seen you around here before."

The guy just raised an eyebrow, the corners of his lips quirking up into a small smile, "Yeah, I'm new here. You go to the high school?"

"Nah, Stefan's my brother," He jabbed a thumb over at the vampire, who was watching both of them carefully. "I decided I'd crash the party."

"Eh, not really a party," The green-eyed teen said with a roll of his eyes. "Most people here are dumb shits who think getting high and drunk beyond belief is 'fun'."

Damon let out a surprised snort of laughter, not expecting that in the slightest from the human, "Oh, I like you. I'm Damon."

"Percy," The other grinned.

"Well, Percy, can I get you a drink?" Damon didn't know what he was doing but he knew he wanted to talk to this guy more. There was something about him that seemed to draw him in, like he was a cat going after catnip.

"I'd love that," He nodded. "Anything's fine. I walked here."

"Great," The vampire nodded. "I'll be right back." He glanced over at Stefan when he walked away from Percy, noting his brother's curious and skeptical gaze. He smirked and tilted his head, probably making his brother think he was going to murder the teen soon.

He probably wasn't going to.

He looked at the assortment of drinks, pondering which one to grab for himself and which one for Percy. The teen said, in not much hinting at all, that he could have alcohol, seeing as he didn't drive to the dance (or whatever it was). Now, Damon was tasked with finding him something to drink that wasn't poisoned by messed-up teenagers. Finally, he decided on Rum since the people were too pour to buy some real alcohol.

Percy was still there when he walked back.

He found himself smiling as he came over, holding out a red solo cup for the teen to take. He felt comfortable around him, more than he did around anyone, and the vampire didn't know why. It was almost like Percy didn't care how he was, that, at some point in their pointless conversation about the pros and cons of living with an alien, even though he made rude comments that had other people glaring at him and screaming harsh words, he saw him for him and not the facade he put up.

He even laughed loudly at one of his jokes that normally had people looking at him like he was a psychopath.

He's a keeper.

The dance was winding down and it was dark out and Damon asked a question he never thought he'd as a human, "Wanna ride to your place? It's pretty late out."