Chapter 22

There was something different about the night, Damon thought as he led his boyfriend away from the throng of dancers in the grassy field. He couldn't pinpoint quite what is was, only that it carried a sense of foreboding with it. It was everywhere, yet no where, and it spun his mind around like a child's toy, disorienting him all the same.

"Why did you decide to wear a dress today?"

Percy smiled sharply at him, his bright green eyes shining with something vaguely gleeful as well as dangerous, "You can hide more in a skirt than a suit if you choose the right design, Damon Salvatore."

Damon's nod was slow but sure as he grinned with his teeth on display, "You don't say..."

"Can you please not?" Caroline sighed loudly from where she was drinking from a solo cup. "I have never felt more single than when I'm standing with you guys." She set it down, brushing her dress a bit as she stepped away from the makeshift bar, "Alright, Percy, you're going to dance with me."

"I am?" Percy raised an eyebrow at her but was already extracting himself from Damon's arm. "Are you leading or am I?"

She tilted her head. "You. I haven't practiced enough for the lead. Will your dress bother you?"

The human paused before looking down at his outfit. "Oh, haha, it's actually not a dress." He stepped back slightly, reaching to the side of his waist on the left to unhook three unseen clasps. The skirt portion came off, revealing women's slacks that went well with his heels. He grinned brightly. "I had this specially made."

Caroline looked suitably impressed even as she raised an eyebrow. "For dancing?"

"More like fighting. Dancing is just an added benefit." He wordlessly handed the item to Damon, who took it with an air of amusement. "Not that I fight a lot. I just get bored and I have hobbies."

The two danced together, ignoring any stares they received from Percy's outfit. They didn't speak for a moment, simply enjoying the music, before Caroline broke the silence between them. "So, what's the real reason you wore the dress? I mean, I don't doubt that fighting is part of it but what's the rest?"

"Why, Caroline!" Percy grinned widely as he twirled her in a circle. "Are you assuming that I have something nefarious planned?"

"You always do," She hummed. "But using the word 'nefarious' confirmed it for me." She was silent for a moment as they spun around the makeshift dance floor, expertly dodging people who decided to drink too much too early and those who just couldn't dance. "Whatever you're planning, it's not the only thing. We haven't been friends for long but I'd like to think I know you well enough to get how you think." She paused. "At least sort of."

Percy rolled his eyes. "You're one of my best friends so you should know." He paused. "Anyways, I kind of wore it to show that it's okay? Personally, I, myself, will probably not wear a dress again for a while but I wanted to prove a point."

Caroline smiled at him softly, nodding her head. She was also a bit touched by his confession that they were best friends. She felt like, now, he rarely did that and was honored that he viewed her that way. "Well, I think you did. We'll have to see at the next dance to know for sure, though."

"I guess," He shrugged. "But change doesn't have to be physical through actions. Sometimes, just putting an idea in someone's head can change them for the better." He tilted his head. "Of course, the same could be said for the opposite affect. Still, in this case, the good will out way the negative." He grinned sharply, lips pressed together into something dangerous. "Mystic Falls didn't have me before."

The blonde didn't get a chance to respond as Elena came over and tapped their shoulders. Apparently, they were going to have a smaller, more private party for Stefan in another clearing. The two best friends followed the brunette, Percy clipping his skirt back on with Caroline's help, and Percy couldn't help but grin as he thought about the present he purchased for the vampire.

"Hey," Caroline leaned over to whisper to him, nudging his side lightly with her elbow. "Stop doing that, you'll scare Stefan."

"I'm just smiling," Percy practically giggled, elbowing her back. "Don't be mean. You could hurt someone's feelings."

"That's rich coming from you."

Stefan's party wasn't crazy and it didn't involve drinking despite what their schoolmates outside of their social circle thought. It was just a small cake, easily divided among them all, and some sodas Bonnie had stashed away in a cooler in her car. The presents were piled at the edge of the clearing, set aside for the time being, and they decided to talk about anything other than school and homework.

Finally, Stefan tilted his head towards the pile of gifts, curiosity getting the better of him. "What do you think, present time?"

"Dude, finally," Jeremy sighed, a grin on his face. Originally, they had invited him because he hung around Percy but they eventually realized that they enjoyed his company and the jokes he provided. "I think I got the best gift."

"Nah," Percy waved his hand at him. "I totally did."

No one believed him, especially when he couldn't stop smiling evilly.

Elena had gotten Stefan a jacket, the color a nice dark burgundy color that complimented his eyes. Bonnie just went with a standard gift card, unsure of what to get him but unwilling to try and get to know him better. Caroline was proud to present a mug with Salvatore written beautifully on the side and a handle that curved elegantly in swoops at the rim like the railing in a Victorian home. Jeremy got him a collection of movies that he and Stefan had talked about before and made sure they were the complete set and in perfect condition. Damon went along with Bonnie's route and handed his brother a gift card, though his only had twenty dollars in it versus her fifty.

Stefan hesitated when coming across Percy's gift but decided to power through his nerves and get it over with. When he did open the box, he immediately closed it and looked to the human with wide , almost terrified eyes. "Is this real?"

Percy shrugged. "Maybe. I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy that makes them. Legally." He seemed to add the last word as an after thought. "What do you think?"

Stefan had reopened the box, still away from anyone's viewpoint, and poked its contents with morbid curiosity and slight trepidation. "At least its dead... I think." He could see the group really looking over in alarm now but he was still focused on his gift. "This is super creepy but... Actually kind of cool?"

"Share with the class, brother," Damon rolled his eyes, getting a bit impatient standing there with them all.

"Sure," Stefan nodded, eyes lighting up when he realized he could possibly catch his brother off guard for once. He reached in the box and tugged on the item, taking it out. He couldn't help the grin on his face when everyone besides Percy, for obvious reasons, stepped back in shock and slight horror.

"What the hell is that thing?" Elena demanded, bringing a hand to her mouth in disgust.

"Is that a shrunken head?" Caroline asked. She turned to Percy. "Is it?"

The human nodded, looking pleased with himself. "It was cheaper than I thought it was going to be. I added a gift card just in case."

At the same time that Percy said that, Stefan found said object, holding up the slim card to read how much was on it. He stared at it for a good few seconds before he blanched when he comprehended what he read. "A thou- How?"

Percy grinned, pointing at himself. "I'm amazing."

Xxxxxxxxxxx

i hope you all liked this chapter!

thanks to all that have reread this book in the last few days- yeah, ive noticed you all

words: 1,336

song:  Eminem - Godzilla ft. Juice WRLD (Dir. by @_ColeBennett_)