Chapter 5

A week passed since Damon and Percy had started hanging out and Stefan wasn't sure how to react with how much his brother changed in that time.

But the "animal attacks" didn't stop.

They slowed, but they never stopped.

Damon still fed and Stefan was worried about when the time would come where he'd turn on Percy. Would there be a time? God, Stefan wished he knew for certain. It was all so frustrating.

-"Another animal attack has occurred once again. Authorities suggest not staying past midnight and to avoid dark areas. It is suspected that the cause is-"-

Stefan shut off the tv, sighing to himself. He just wanted a normal life but Damon always had to come and ruin it. He thought that, with his brother having a friend and all for once, that he'd stop, or maybe be more discreet if he can.

Obviously not.

"What game are you playing?" He approached the eldest Salvatore, who was nursing a glass of bourbon, "Is your friendship with Percy just a little game to you? Part of your plan?"

Damon's head snapped up and he was in front of the other before he could even blink, "What's going on between me and Percy?" He slammed his brother against the wall, holding him by his throat, "Isn't some little 'game'." He let go of his brother, watching him kneel on the floor gasping, "I'm heading out."

Stefan watched him leave, touching his throat gently. Damon was up to something, he knew. The question was what it was he was up to.

--

Damon didn't know where he was going, if he was being completely honest. He had hopped in his car and took a drive, not even thinking about where anything would lead him. Was he using Percy? Was this all some sick game- was what he was feeling even real? He was broken out of his thoughts when his phone rang and Percy's name popped up, "Hello?"

"Damon," His friend sounded relieved to hear him. "There was an attack at the school. No one knows what it was but- Look, can you get here? I-I need to leave. Please, Damon." He seemed out of breath, like he was running, and he could hear the slamming of doors.

"Yeah, I'm on my way. I'll be there in five," He hung up and took a deep breath, tightening his grip on the steering wheel. Was he hurt? Did Percy get attacked? Was he running from something?

Since when did he start worrying about something like this?

--

When Damon got to the school, Sheriff Forbes was there with her fellow officers, pointing at the doors. The vampire looked over and his eyes widened when he saw that the doors had actually practically been blown off, glass and wood everywhere. If he looked close enough, he could see claw marks in the pieces.

He needed to get to Percy. He had to.

"Damon!" Elena went as quickly as she could towards the vampire the minute she saw him, "Thank God you're he-"

"Where's Percy?" The Salvatore stumbled in a circle, like he could spot the teen quickly, "He called, said there was an attack. He said he had to leave. Elena, where is he?"

"That's the thing," Elena stepped in front of the vampire, stopping him. "A vampire broke into the school, talking about Katherine and stuff. He was going to attack me but Percy stopped him and he took off running. I don't know everything that happened but I think the vampire followed and- Damon, I think I saw blood."

"What?" He went to turn when the girl grabbed his wrist, stopping him momentarily.

"Damon, I already called Stefan. He's put searching for hi-"

"So, you're saying I shouldn't look for him," The vampire's icy-blue eyes bore into hers.

"Yes. Stefan can handle this!"

The Salvatore broke out of her grasp, "Fuck you, Elena. He's my friend and I'm going to find him. He called me for help. I'm not letting him down because St. Stefan wants to play hero."

--

There was a sweet and salty scent leading into the forest that reminded Damon of the sea and he wondered if this was Percy's blood he was smelling. It was amazing but, in this situation, he prayed he was wrong. He sped further past the trees, never letting anything distract him. He came to a stop, however, when he heard Stefan and Percy talking.

"Are you alright?"

"I told you, I'm fine."

"You're bleeding from your stomach. Let me help."

"Look, St. Stefan, if you come near me, I will stab you with a spork I used in third period. I'm fine. I need to get to Damon," Percy sounded agitated and he stamped his foot down in frustration, glaring at the youngest Salvatore.

"You can't see Damon anymore," Stefan said. "He's not a good person. He's obviously influencing you!"

"In what way? Hmm?" Percy took a step forward, removing his hand from his stomach so he could jab a finger at the other's chest, "Damon is a good person. Yeah, he has a fucked up way of showing it but you're no better. Take a break, be a Saint. What good does it do when you can barely show restraint?"

The teen snatched his hand away, eyeing the brown-haired vampire, and Stefan could tell he knew more than he let on. Still, he had to get him away from his brother, "He kills people, Percy."

The green-eyed boy was quiet for a moment but his next words dumbfounded the Salvatore, "Cool."

"You don't understand. Damon is-"

"Yeah, yeah, your brother's a serial killer, I get it. Can I go now? He's picking me up."

"You just called him a serial killer but you're going in a car with him?" Stefan's eyebrows creased together in confusion.

"What can I say? I'm a sucker for danger." He looked at Stefan and rolled his eyes, "Oh, put away the judgy brows. You look constipated."

"Percy," Damon decided to make himself known, stepping in the clearing. "Are you okay?"

"If you mean besides the fact that someone broke into the school and I'm bleeding out of my stomach, yes. Actually, no. I'm kind of hungry."

"I'll pick something up at the Grill later. Come on," He motioned for his friend to come over, glaring at his little brother. He was surprised when the teen came over without hesitating, even looking chipper despite his energy and the fact that he suspected Damon to be a serial killer.

"Damon-" The youngest Salvatore started.

"Stefan."

Stefan was surprised when both Percy and Damon turned around at the same time, looking aggravated. God, they were so alike, it was scary. Next thing you knew, Percy had some crazy hidden ability and killed people for a hobby.

"Look," It was Percy who spoke. "I'm tired, hungry, and in pain. If you don't shut the fuck up, I can't be held responsible for what I do." He looked at Damon as if just realizing something, "Is it okay if I threaten your brother?"

The vampire held up his hands, a wide grin on his face, "Go ahead. It's... Wow, you're pretty awesome."

The teen looked pleased at that statement, "Cool. Let's go before I bleed out and die." They walked off to the car, the Salvatore helping his friend part of the way. Percy was about to open the passenger door when he spoke again, "Oh, if you do decide to kill me right now, at least let me tell some friends in New York that I'm friends with a serial killer. We have a bet going. They owe me ten bucks now."

Damon was silent for a split second before he busted out laughing, "You're crazy."