Chapter Three ~ New Members

Adira

     "You see, I was just living my ordinary Typhoomerang life when a pack of Changewings, including Canna here, swooped in and ambushed me. They took all my food and I had to spend the next four days hunting to restock my supply." Citrine growled.

      Canna rolled her eyes, "for Thor's sake, that was over a year ago! We were starving and very desperate. Five of us died that night anyway because someone torched us."

     "You just don't want to admit that you were too weak to fight back," Citrine snarled menacingly.

      "I will admit it. We were weak because we needed food badly. We tried asking nicely, but you just turned your back and left us to die. We had no choice!" Canna snapped. I decided now was as good a time as ever to intervene.

      "Okay, we get it, you both made mistakes," I cut into the heated argument, "Canna, you shouldn't have attacked him. Citrine, you couldn't have killed her pack members. It happened a long time ago, can't we just forget it now?" Canna huffed but nodded in agreement. Citrine did the same. "Good. Now moving on, Canna, we'd like to invite you into our dragon pack."

      She gave a confused look. "Dragon pack?" I nodded.

      After I explained, Canna agreed to join under one condition.

      "I don't have to do anything with just Citrine and I. If you want us to do something together, there has to be someone else there with us," Canna demanded.

      "Deal," I said back.

      On our way back to Arboribus, we had recruited a Deadly Nadder named Spark, two Monstrous Nightmares named Blast and Blare, and four Gronkles, Mist, Haze, Fog, and Steam. 

      We took a vote and Citrine was elected leader and Melanite was elected advisor. Canna was chosen to be the battle director and Spark was the head of hunting. We also found a Terrible Terror named Sunny who was willing to pass the message about the dragon pack along to other dragons. He had said that he would try to convince his Terrible Terror friends to join and become spies on enemies. If he joined, I decided I would vote to put him in charge of spying.

      When we had made it back to Arboribus, Blare had sniffed out a huge cave that was mostly underground. Once inside, we saw that it had multiple tunnels and caverns which could be used as special rooms and housing compartments. Deep within the cave was a small underground pond filled with fish. It was clear they had never been hunted before, judging by their numbers. It also meant there weren't any carnivores living in the cave.

      The ten dragons and I split into two different groups, each taking a cavern. Haze blasted a hole through the wall so they were connected.

      I chose to stay in the cavern with Citrine, Melanite, Canna, Mist, and Blast. After trying to get comfortable enough to fall asleep multiple times and failing, Canna spoke up.

Canna

      "Do you want to sleep with me?" I warbled to Adira gently. 

      She nodded and curled her tiny body up into my open wings. Within seconds, she had fallen asleep. It reminded me of all those years ago when we first met. I remember being thrown in a ring with her, while she cowered back from me. She was supposed to kill me, but she didn't make a move. When they tied her to a chair that was attached to me, I promised to make sure that she wouldn't die in the wilderness like her tribe had intended.

Fog

      In the morning, the girl, Adira I think she had said, asked a favor of me.

      "Sure, what is it?" I answered.

      "I want to try to improve my blacksmith skills. Can you just make a puddle of lava near the underground pond?"

      "Yeah, I can do that. I'll let Canna and Spark know that I won't be able to hunt or fight today." I growled in agreement. I made my way over to Spark. "I won't be able to hunt for a little while, I'm helping Adira with her blacksmithing skills," Spark said she understood, as did Canna when I delivered the news to her.

      I joined Adira down by the pond and let out a small pool of lava for her to work with.

      "What should I craft? Armor? Weapons? Fashion accessories?" I considered the options.

      "Armor. Try something simple, like shoulder plates, for now." I growled in response. "Oh, and put spikes on them so they can also be a weapon of sorts."

      "And I can make them shiny enough to be a fashion accessory. All three combined into one, great idea!" She exclaimed in delight. She settled down and got to work.

      When the lava had cooled so it was solid, but still very bendable, Adira used a rock to pound the lava until it was flat. Then she shaped it into a hollow sphere and cut it in half. She used tiny chunks of lava for the spikes and pressed them onto the shoulder plates. To complete the process, she dipped her creation into the pond, which cooled and hardened it instantly. She fastened them onto her shoulders and struck a pose.

      "How do I look?" I let out a throaty chuckle.

      "Great, now let's go back. Spark put me on exploring duty for on the way back."

      "Then what are we waiting for? Let's explore!" Adira shouted, pumping a fist in the air.

      We aimlessly wandered around the maze of caverns and tunnels, marking our path with small pools of lava as we went. After an hour of exploring, we found another underground pond, two ways to get to the surface, and a large cavern that laid deep within the cave, which could be used as an emergency bunker if needed.

      Everything was fine until we started making our way back to the rest of the pack. Somewhere, far off into the cave, came a scratching sound. Adira furrowed her brows.

      "What was that?" she asked, glancing around quickly. I blasted a hole through the wall that was separating us and the noise and gasped at the scene. Inside was a huge cloud of smoke, which seemed to be moving around.

      "Smothering Smokebreaths!" I hollered with a growl.

A/N: I don't really have anything to say in this authors note. I guess I can say the characters in this chapter aren't really important, I just needed them to create the base of the dragon pack.