Chapter Thirteen ~ An Anonymous Letter

Adira

      A week passed since my birthday when I ran into the Berserkers and all of my eggs had hatched. I named the Changewing Rainbow since she always kept her colors bright and widely-ranged. The Thunderdrum was named Hurricane because every time he went near water he would roar and make the waves big. I called the Wholly Howl Snowspirit. Ruby was the Stormcutter, named for her color. I named the Windstriker Bluesky, and the Sword Stealer Magnet. Finally, I named Melanite's little daughter Iris.

      So there was Rainbow, Hurricane, Snowspirit, Ruby, Bluesky, Magnet, and Iris. Each and every one of them was adorable and lovable, but I secretly had a special fondness for Iris. Not only was she Melanite's daughter, but her personality was to die for. A little shy, very squeaky, and always had a heart for adventure. Similar to me, excluding the squeaky part.

      One morning, I decided that they couldn't stay in my house any longer. Magnet would soon live up to his name and stick to everything he walked by. Ruby was starting to outgrow everything, and Snowspirit had a bad habit of freezing anything he came in contact with.

      I knew that I couldn't just assign them to a cave outside my house and have them be happy with it. I needed to grovel them first.

      "Hey guys! I know you're all still a little small to fly, but I want to show you what it feels like. Who's up for it?" I was answered by a chorus of agreements. "Come on outside," I said and headed out the front door.

      The small dragons all lined up and watched in awe as I turned into a dragon. It wasn't the first time they'd seen it happen, but they still never seemed to get bored of seeing my skin morph into scales.

      I made myself about twice as big and created seven largish wooden baskets on my back with leather straps looping around my body so they wouldn't fall off mid-flight. 

      "Jump in," I offered to the young reptiles and they eagerly clambered into the baskets.

      I gently climbed into the sky and flew at cloud level. The baby dragons let out a couple ooh's and ah's of astonishment. We flew like this for a while, somewhere around a half hour. When I saw Berk come into view again, I slowly descended until I was parallel to the ocean. I gave a friendly hello to a few of my Tidal Class acquaintances.

      "I can't wait until I can fly!" Iris squealed. A couple other dragons squeaked their agreement.

      "All in good time," I assured her and landed outside my house. Once all the dragon jumped off my back, I shrunk down to my normal dragon size.

      "Anyone want to play a game?" I asked cheerfully. The dragons nodded with eager faces.

      "Okay, I want you to name a dragon species and I'll turn into it. Then you tell me what to do, but only within that species' abilities. It'll be fun and you'll get to learn some other dragon species." I explained the game I made up. They all nodded. "Rainbow first," I said, randomly choosing the Changewing.

      "Change into a Timberjack and slice down your house!" She exclaimed with pleading eyes. I laughed and obliged, I could always rebuild it later.

      The game went on for hours. Each dragon wanted to me to explode, burn, crush, or freeze something. Iris told me to become a Bewilderbeast and freeze the ocean. I did but thawed it out right after. Once they wore themselves out, they started to return back to my house.

      "Actually guys, I want to try something new. I'm going to build you each your own little house!" I said to them, trying to sound enthusiastic. Most of the dragons were, except for Iris.

      "But I want to stay with you!" She wailed, "I get scared at night." It was true. More than once I had been woken up by her whimpers.

      "How about you'll be in the one closest to my house. I'll even make a tunnel that interjoins it with mine." I suggested. This seemed to calm her down.

      "O-okay," she sniffled. I sighed, relieved.

      I shot seven wood balls out of my mouth and into a line. Then I imagined a tunnel connecting them to each other and a tube connecting the closest one to my house. I pictured plenty of food and water in each of them and a comfortable place to sleep. I even added a few candles in the corners of each to give off a little light for nighttime.

      "Can mine be rainbow-colored?" Rainbow asked.

      "I want mine to be red!" Begged Ruby.

      "Mine needs to be yellow!" Hollered Magnet. Since Magnet was still newly hatched, his scales were a bright yellow color, but they would turn black in a few short weeks.

      "Okay, how about I'll color each with the tone of your scales?" I proposed. They nodded.

      I made the one farthest away from my house dark blue. Sorry to Hurricane, but I didn't want to be kept up all night by ear-piercing roars. I made all the other small dragon houses the appearance of its new owner and encouraged them to go inside.

      "It's getting late," I told them, "why don't you go eat dinner and get some rest? Tomorrow I want to introduce you to my friends." 

      They all obeyed and went inside their new homes. I turned back into a human and walked into my house with a sigh. Those seven dragons were exhausting, but I think I was handling them well.

      That was when I noticed a letter on the table. I picked it up to examine it. There was slanted, black handwriting that was so messy I could barely read it. But I did.

Dear Dragon Girl (Adira),

A few of my men saw a silver and gold dragon change into a Deadly Nadder, then a Night Fury. I know it was you because you are freakishly close to dragons and my Skrill. I want you to come to my island in a day's time to train dragons for us (because your stupid friend Hiccup wouldn't) or I will come and attack Berk myself. You have until sunset tomorrow or everyone you love will die.

From,
Anonymous

A/N: Oooh, things just got heated up!