Chapter Sixteen ~ School of Flight

Melanite

      "Come here, Iris!" I called to my daughter when I spotted two silhouettes on the horizon. Iris half walked, half tumbled down a hill to where I was standing.

      "What is it?" She probed in a shrill voice.

      "Adira and your mother are back," I said to her, looking up at the sky, "can you see them?"

      "I think so," she replied while craning her neck upward, "what does my mother look like again?"

      "Like you, but bigger," I answered, slightly amused at her naiveness and curiosity.

      "Oh! I can't wait to see Adira again!" It's been four whole days," she exclaimed, her tone complaining at the end of her statement.

      "Look, they're here!" I told her as Adira and Nightflash landed a small distance away.

      "Adira!" Iris squealed and ran over to a now human Adira, tripping over her own feet.

      "Hey, Iris! I'm happy to see you too!" Said Adira with a smile.

      Iris turned toward Nightflash, "are you, my mother?" She warbled questioningly.

      "Yes, sweetheart," Nightflash responded lovingly.

      "I'll just leave you to this..." Adira trailed off, slowly leaving the family gathering. I was about to call her back when I remembered that there were six other little dragons waiting to see her.

Adira

      I wanted to stay for Melanite and Nightflash's reunion, but I had other things to do. Like surviving the attack of six young dragons who are probably angry at my abandonment. Oh gods, save my soul.

      I slowly approached the small houses that were owned by Iris's friends. I luckily was smart enough to bring dragonnip with me, so if someone started yelling they would stop immediately.

      "Hi, Adira!" Snowspirit yipped from his brown-colored house.

      "Is Adira back?" Rainbow asked with excitement.

      "Yay!" Screeched Hurricane.

      "You have to stop doing that," Ruby told Hurricane with a slight shove of annoyance.

      "Where have you been Adira?" Bluesky asked curiously.

      "Yeah, we missed you!" Magnet said. It had only been roughly five days since I last saw them, but I noticed his scales were already a muddy yellow, soon to be dark gray and attract metal.

      "I missed you guys too. Look how big you've gotten!" I said with enthusiasm.

      "Yeah, I want to learn how to fly now!" Snowspirit exclaimed, expression pleading.

      "You're too small," jeered Hurricane, "but I'm not!" He said puffing out his chest. I chuckled at their hopefulness of learning to fly. That was when I realized that they were big enough. All of them.

      "You're all big enough. I'll teach you the basics, but here a little souvenir from my journey." I comforted Snowspirit who was now kicking around rocks and uttering gibberish under his breath. I tossed the handfuls of dragon nip at the small dragons' feet. Their faces visibly lit up as they dove into the green plant. I suddenly wondered what it tastes like. "Save some for me." I told them and turned into a dragon.

      I took a mouthful of the stuff and was instantly addicted. The enticing plant tasted of Valhalla on earth. I was ready to jump into a field of it and gobble it up. No wonder dragons fell head over heels when they came in contact it.

      "This is amazing!" Ruby mumbled around a mouthful. I wholeheartedly agreed. Within seconds the entire bundle was gone without a trace.

      "Aw, I want more." Magnet whined.

      "Soon," I promised, "but don't you guys want to learn how to fly?" At that question, all thoughts of dragon nip disappeared from their minds.

      "Yes!" They squeaked in unison.

      "Shouldn't we wait for Iris, though?" Asked Bluesky. He was right; it wouldn't be fair to leave her out.

      "Yeah, good thinking. Be right back." I told him and climbed into the sky to the stables. Once I reached Iris, Melanite, and Nightflash, I realized the small reunion was over.

      "Hey Iris," I called, "I'm giving basic flight lessons to the other dragons. Do you want to join?"

      "Of course!" She squealed and jumped in giddiness. With Melanite and Nightflash's permission, we went back to the other dragons to get started.

      After about two hours, I successfully taught each of them to take off, fly, and land.

      "All it takes is a little patience and practice," I told them, "you guys will be amazing fliers!" And with that they all flapped back to their small houses for an afternoon nap.

      I laid down in the grass, completely bored. There was literally nothing to do, except maybe... test something out. I wanted to be able to see things from a dragon's point of view, especially when dealing with humans. A plan sprouted in my head. I should become a Night Fury, because Hiccup is always looking for one.

      So I went ahead and changed into a Night Fury, but this time imagining an unfamiliar scent coating my body so no dragon would recognize me. Then I changed my eye color to a light blue.

      After that process was completed, I flew into the air lightning fast so people and dragons could hear the scream that my wings made. Then I telepathically messaged Hiccup.

      Um, Hiccup, you might want to come out into the square. Know that I'm there too, but in camouflaged so you can't see me.

      I'm on my way. He replied mentally.

      I wondered, suddenly, if I could create an illusion of myself so it seemed more realistic. I imagined and silver and gold dragon prowling around in the square. And there I was, walking around with my head held high.

      "Adira," Hiccup said, rushing over to my illusion, "what did you want me to see?"

      Look up. I said in his brain and made the illusion disappear, so I looked camouflaged.

      In Night Fury form I shot around, even moving downward to snatch up a sheep. It struggled pitifully, letting out a few baas.

      "Adira? Adira where are you?" Hiccup asked, panic-stricken.

      Right here. I said internally, creating another illusion of myself.

      "Can you throw a net on it or something? I want to try to train it."

      Sure. I pictured a large net falling from the sky and on top of me. I dropped the sheep right on top of one of the many Vikings gathered around for my own entertainment. Then, I let my wings tangle into the net and felt myself crash to the ground.

A/N: COME ON ELLA STOP MAKING THINGS FILLERS ALL THE TIME GEEZ!