Chapter Fourteen ~ Day Trip

Adira

      I spent the night tossing and turning in bed until it was clear I was not going to get a wink of sleep. Who had sent that letter? Certainly not someone from Berk, unless it was some kind of prank (which I doubted it was). 

      What really bothered me though, was how the sender got the letter into my house. Someone must have put it there when I was out, but the question was who. Was it the sender himself? Or someone working with him? The thought sent a shudder down my spine.

      The next day I couldn't take it anymore; I had to tell Hiccup or Stoick. When I left my house and headed towards the Great Hall, I found both of them.

      "Hey Adira," greeted Hiccup while Stoick gave a nod and a slight smile.

      "Hi Hiccup, Stoick," I returned, then became serious, "I have an urgent problem. This showed up on my table last night." I said and handed Stoick the letter. He and Hiccup read it with haste.

      "I would guess Alvin or Dagur," sad Hiccup, "probably both."

      "Aye, I'm thinking Dagur wrote it but Alvin told him what to say." Stoick agreed.

      "Yes the 'my Skrill' part was definitely Dagur, but the 'Hiccup didn't train our dragons' would be Alvin. That means their conspiring together," Hiccup added with distaste, "again."

      "You've got to be kidding," I groaned, "what do I do?" Silence. None of the three of us knew what I should do. I couldn't let Dagur and Alvin attack, but I also could go out and train their dragons. Or could I... "I got an idea!" I exclaimed after several minutes of silence.

      "I'm open to anything." Hiccup told me.

      "I should train their dragons to turn against the Berserkers and Outcasts."

      "That actually doesn't sound too bad," said Stoick thoughtfully, "but you're so busy with your seven little dragons..." He trailed off.

      "I could leave them with Melanite." I offered. Hiccup and Stoick agreed.

      I exited the Great Hall and headed for the stables. I halted when I caught sight of Melanite. It was obvious that I couldn't just throw seven dragons at him without Melanite's okay. I slowly approached him, nervous of what his reaction would be like.

      "Hey Melanite," I dragged out, "is it okay if I kind of... maybe... sort of..."

      "Kind of, maybe, sort of what?" He asked suspiciously.

      "Left Iris and her friends with you while I go and train the Berserkers' and Outcasts's dragons to turn against them?"

      "What? No? I don't know!" He hollered in surprise.

      "Please, I can't take them with me!" I pleaded. He uttered some extremities under his breath.

      After a full morning of arguing with Melanite, he finally agreed. This was when the second letter came in, right outside the stables.

Dear Dragon Girl,

You have the rest of the afternoon or the Skrill gets it.

From,
Your Amazing Friends Dagur and Alvin

      "Skrill? You and Iris are right here, so that means..." I trailed off, trying not to consider the alternative.

      "They have Nightflash!" Melanite growled with wide eyes, referring to his mate.

      "No Melanite, you are not coming with me," I said sternly.

      "Yes I am," he demanded, "I have to save Nightflash!"

      "You have to take care of your daughter. Iris is a descendant of Nightflash, so keeping her safe is something Nightflash would want. You take care of Iris and I'll rescue Nightflash." I insisted.

      "Fine. But if she's not safe in two days I am flying out there myself." He said with a glare. Something in his eyes told me that he was not bluffing.

      "I'll be back soon," I promised while turning into a dragon. He wished me luck as I jumped into the air.

      While I flew, I changed my colors to match the sky just in case I was spotted. It didn't seem very likely though. I knew in order to turn the dragons against their captors and to free Nightflash, I would need to talk to them, but not out loud.

      I pictured Melanite and thought, Melanite can you hear me? I'm trying to speak to dragons telepathically.

      Adira? He thought back.

      YYes, it works! This way I can give you updates on Nightflash and the other dragons. I mind-exclaimed.

      That's great, I have to go check on Iris and the kids now, but keep me updated. Melanite said mentally. I told him I agreed and then cut our connection. I decided to try mind-messaging humans.

      Hiccup, are you there? It's Adira, I'm talking to you telepathically. I thought while imagining Hiccup.

      You can do that?

      Yeah, just trying something new.

      So can you keep me posted on how everything's going?'

      Exactly. I'm almost to Outcast Island now, I've got to go.

      Bye!

      That went well. I could probably read minds too, but now wasn't the time to try. I got things to do, places to be. 

      I went through my list of chores in my head: free Nightflash, turn Dagur's and Alvin's dragons against them, try not to get killed by Alvin, make sure the Outcasts and Berserkers know nothing about my plans, and keep Melanite away from Dagur. I was going to be a very busy person.

      As I reached Outcast island, I spotted Alvin and Dagur poised in the middle of a cage. I shot an ice ball at them and froze the ground, watching them trip and fall for my own amusement.

      "She's here," I heard Alvin grumble. Dagur and Alvin ducked heads and whispered for a view moments, but my enhanced dragon ears picked up the whole conversation.

      "Alvin, I know its hard but you'll have to refrain from killing her." Whispered Dagur.

      "No. That's why we brought her here." Alvin contradicted bluntly.

      "Fine, we'll compromise. She'll train our dragons then we'll kill her. Agreed?" Dagur asked.

      "Agreed," Alvin answered.

      I swear if Dimitrice shows up I will kill someone. I thought crossly.

      Still camouflaged, I silently landed directly behind them and changed back into a human.

      "This ought to be good." I voiced with a smirk. Dagur and Alvin spun around, slipping on the ice in the process.

      "First change you make," demanded Alvin, "is melting this ice."

      "And why should I do that?" I countered.

      "Do it, or we will destroy this Skrill." Dagur threatened, pointing toward a female Skrill tied up and behind bars. Nightflash.

A/N: Duh, Duh, DUH! Lol. I know I updated yesterday, but it feels like forever so I'm going to update again cuz I'm nice.