Chapter Five ~ Dagur Is Deranged

Adira

      Days passed, and my idea of a dragon pack turned out to be brilliant. We'd never had a shortage of food, even with feeding the Smothering Smokebreaths. I'd also been making sure to spend plenty of time with both Canna and Citrine, who were clearly jealous of Melanite.

      Over the past few days, we had recruited plenty of members, including Sunny and his Terrible Terror friends. It turned out their social personalities are very good at convincing dragons to join the pack. So far, Sunny alone has brought in a few Whispering Deaths, Hideous Zipplebacks, Thunderdrums, and even a Flightmare. When Sunny was with his friends, the recruits came pouring in.

      It was a little surprising, honestly. The cave had enough space for everyone, the underground ponds never drained, and the fish seemed to only be multiplying.

      It seemed like complete paradise until the day the Berserkers came back.

      Thanks to Sunny, we had about a ten-minute head start to escape, but I knew that a huge mob of dragons flying away would not go unnoticed. We had to attack them first.

      "What should we do? Burn them? Electrocute them? Drown them? Paralyze them?" Citrine had asked Melanite when they were approaching.

      It suddenly dawned on me that with the dragon pack, we could easily pull off any of those options.

      "I say we do something terrifying," Melanite replied, "send in a legendary dragon, like a Boneknapper, to scare them. Then have the Tidal Class dragons surround them so they are forced to turn around. Have some Thunderdrums roar in their faces to add effect. Then I'll fly out with Adira and tell them to never come back. By then they'll be scared out of their wits and obey. If not, we can have the Flightmare paralyze them and we'll take off. Sound good?"

      "That plan is flawless," I said truthfully.

      "I agree, let's do it," Citrine growled and explained the plan to the rest of the pack. 

      While the plan was in action, the rest of the dragons would head north under the cover of the Smokebreaths. If we weren't with them after ten minutes, they would turn back and check to see if we were okay. Everyone agreed.

      I jumped onto Melanite and grabbed the handles the Smokebreaths has crafted for me. We watched the cloud of smoke travel north for a little bit, turned, and dove into the plan.

      The Boneknapper flew in and circled the fleet of ships a few times, then landed on one with a clank. A few Berserkers tried throwing weapons, but they just bounced off of his coat of armor. After realizing they could neither kill nor capture the dragon, they started running to the edges of their ships to get as far away as possible.

      Then the Tidal Class dragons came. The Scauldrons and Seashokers swam in on all sides but one, effectively turning the Berserkers around. The Thunderdrums shot out of the water and let out huge bellows, leaving Dagur and his men completely stunned. It was Melanite and I's turn.

      We swooped in from the clouds, Melanite's wings buzzing with electricity. I took out my braid and let my brunette hair whip around to add effect. Dagur looked up and pointed a sword at me.

      "That's my Skrill! Get your tiny hands off of him, little Dragon Girl!" I snickered.

      "Okay, first of all, Melanite does not belong to anyone, he is a free dragon. Second, my name is Adira, not Dragon Girl."

      "Tell him that if he doesn't leave me alone I will electrocute him without a second thought," Melanite growled.

      "And he says if you don't leave him alone he will electrocute you without a second thought," I told Dagur with a menacing glare.

      "You can talk to dragons?" One of Dagur's men asked with a puzzled look. Dagur turned to him and threw him off the boat. Melanite and I exchanged a look.

      "No wonder he's called Dagur the Deranged," I muttered to Melanite.

      "Give me that Skrill!" Dagur shouted, waving the sword.

      "How about no," I responded sarcastically and called for the Flightmare. She dove in and sprayed her paralyzing mist at the armada of ships.

      We turned tail and fled, heading north to the pack. Right before we were out of earshot, I heard Dagur shriek, "You won't get away with this!"

      I smirked, "oh Dagur, I already have." I called back and flew off into the night.

      It was noon the next day before we saw land. As we got closer, I noticed it was speckled with wooden houses.

      "Should we land and see if they're friendly? Or just keep going?" I asked Melanite. His huge yawn was the answer. 

      Every dragon was exhausted, especially the dragons who took place in the plan. We needed rest badly. If we didn't, we would surely drop like rocks out of the sky.

      "Might as well. If they're hostile we can paralyze them and run." Melanite responded sleepily. I agreed.

      "Melanite and Adira will go in first. Indigo will be hidden, but near us, in case of emergency." Citrine, who had heard Melanite and I's conversation, said in an authoritative voice. Indigo was the name of the Flightmare.

      Melanite and I landed in the center of the square, looking for life. A few people, obviously Vikings, walked around, but none of them noticed us. I sat there pondering over what to do, so deep in thought that I didn't notice a group of five dragons and six riders land next to me.

      "Hi," a girl with blonde hair and blue eyes said in a friendly, yet careful voice.

      I jumped at the sight. There was a boy with chocolate brown hair and green eyes looked surprised at Melanite.

      "I know that boy!" Melanite growled. "When Dagur had control of me, he defeated Dagur and tried to train me. But I was rather grumpy at the time and I decided to return to the ice once he freed me instead of becoming friends with him."

      "My dragon says that he knows you," I said to the green-eyed boy. "Something to do with you defeating Dagur."

      "Ha! I knew it was the same Skrill!" Another boy with dark hair exclaimed. "Remember when you electrocuted me and I couldn't talk for a few days?"

      "Yes, and I'm glad I did," Melanite growled. Something told me that this dude wasn't the most fun to be around.

      "Melanite says he is glad that he did," I said to him. He huffed and turned his back. I looked at the one with the prosthetic leg and said, "hi, I'm Adira and I come in peace. My dragons and I have been flying for a very long time and would like a place to rest. Do you have any spare room?"

      "Yes, we do." He replied. "I'm Hiccup and this is Astrid. Snotlout, Fishlegs, Ruffnut, and Tuffnut." I gave them each a wave.

      "Okay, two questions," Tuffnut said, raising his hand. "You can talk to dragons?"

      "Yeah, I wished on a shooting star that I could understand Dragonese and it came true the next day. Cheesy I know." I answered.

      "And number two," Ruffnut snickered at the number two part, "you said dragons. As in plural."

      "We call it the dragon pack," I said and waved to Citrine and Canna and the rest of the pack. They all came down and hovered about ten meters above our heads. By then we had gathered quite a crowd.

      I looked at Hiccup and saw that his mouth was agape in shock.

A/N: I feel like there should have been a stronger reaction to Adira being able to talk to dragons and the whole dragon pack thing. Oh well. Also, there might be confusion on how to pronounce Adira. It's ah-deer-ah.