Chapter Nine ~ The Battle

Adira

      I was roused by the sound of a horn, interlacing itself into my sleep. Once I was fully awake, I realized the mistake of last night's midnight flight with Hiccup. My body was left in an exhausted state, and my mind was still a little foggy from sleep.

      As I stretched myself out, I remembered the plans. We were to act like we never knew anything, the horn being part of that to indicate that we didn't predict the attack. I knew that it meant the Conquerers were drawing very close to our shores, and I had to get up and moving fast.

      When I exited my house, I saw Melanite posed outside, glancing at me with annoyance.

      "You took your sweet time." He growled, rolling his eyes.

      "You're welcome to come in and wake me, just so you know." I countered with a grin. Amusement twinkled in the dark dragon's eyes.

      "Let's go." He warbled and crouched so I could mount his back.

      We took off into the cloudy sky, using the fluffy whiteness to conceal us. Once we were positioned directly above the fleet of ships, I started my part of the plan.

      "We're under attack!" I shouted, not for the Berkians but for the Conquerers, to let them know that we ride dragons.

      On the headship, I spotted a man that was clearly Dimitrice. He matched Indigo's description almost perfectly, but there was something else about him. He looked familiar in some way. But knowing me, I've met practically everyone from Berk to my old home.

      That was when it hit me. Hostium. That was the name of my old island, it translated to "the enemies". Not a bad name for a place like that. I remember that when I was around seven years old, half of the island relocated due to famine. The leader of that group was a man named Dimitrice. I know this guy.

      "Dimitrice?" I blurted, covering my mouth after the realization of my mistake. I prayed to the gods that he did not hear. Looked like luck didn't favor me at the moment.

      "Do I know you?" He glowered, voice raspy.

      "I bet you wish you didn't," I said before I could stop myself.

      "Are you... you're that puny girl who was terrified of dragons! Looks like you've got over that." He gestured to Melanite with a glare.

      "Unfortunately for you." I retorted bluntly and flew back to the island to meet my new friends who were awaiting.

      I called the dragon pack and we went over our fool-proof plans one last time. Although the plan was already in action, we make a few tweaks. I hoped those minor changes didn't mess up the whole thing.

      The plan was to destroy the ships once the men came on land. Any stragglers left behind were going to be forced to swim to shore. Once that happened we would use a few particular battle tactics we'd practiced to defeat the Conquerers, but not kill them. After we unarmed them, we would tie them all to chairs and haul them off to a faraway island where it would take at least a few years for them to have decent boats and weapons again.

      The plan ran smoothly. Almost every Conquerer left their armada almost immediately, and those who stayed on the ships were in for a rude awakening. The dragon pack and I swooped in like birds to a feeder and blasted a few fireballs at them. As expected, the men put it out quickly with a bucket of sea water. After a moment of contemplating, we decided to use explosions instead, for a quick ending. Hence the Zipplebacks.

      The two-headed dragons ran their gas up and down each ship, making sure every crack and crevice were filled with the explosive stuff. There was one spark and the whole thing was over. The boats slip apart into millions of tiny pieces. The remaining Conquerers clung onto small pieces of wood and paddled frantically to shore. We joined the Berkians battling it out on land.

      I saw that my fellow Berkians had successfully unarmed most of the Conquerers. Some of them were already tied to chairs. One of the few Conquerers still armed was Dimitrice, who was squaring off with Stoick. At first, I thought that my chief was winning, but then I noticed Dimitrice's impeccable size and skill with a sword. My hopes drained.

      "Blaze, grab Dimitrice by the hand so he can't slash at you. Adira can ride up and unarm him." Citrine instructed the nearby Monstrous Nightmare. He then turned to Melanite and me, "agreed?"

"Agreed," Melanite said with a nod of approval.

      I smiled at how well this leader-advisor thing was going. Blaze dove in with silent wing beats and wrapped his claws around Dimitrice's clenched fists. The large man thrashed around but instantly stopped when I arrived next to him.

      "You here to finish me off, girl?" He spat through his teeth.

      "No, but I am here to take the sword away." I snapped and ripped the weapon from his grasp.

      "This isn't the last of the Conquerers, you can count on that!" He called as I flew away.

      "You aren't really the Conquerers anymore! You should change your names to the Conquered!" I shouted back and returned to the island to finish off the rest.

      The plan had exceeded greatly. Within five minutes after I disarmed Dimitrice, the rest of his men lost their weapons and were quickly bound to the chairs. Each dragon in the pack took one of the men and hauled them off to a remote island a full day's flight away.

      When we arrived it was nearly midnight. I turned to Hiccup, who insisted on coming along if a Conquerer escaped while flying.

      "Are you as tired as I?" I questioned with a yawn.

      "Probably more." He answered with drooping eyelids. I yawned again and sent Melanite in to drop off the Conquerers.

A/N: Ahh, so dramatic and action-filled! Lol. Thanks so much for 150+ reads!