Chapter Six ~ Welcome To Berk

Adira

      "You trained that many dragons?" Fishlegs said once he snapped from his dumbstruck manner.

      "Wow, that's better than what Hiccup's ever done." Snotlout sneered.

      "Well, that fact that I could understand them certainly helped," I said, trying to keep humble.

      I glanced down at Hiccup's dragon, a Night Fury. I had met a Night Fury before. It was a few years back, I was around twelve years old. I remember that it was a male, and he has retracted his teeth to show me what everyone called him.

      "Oh my gods, Toothless?" I blurted out, jumping off Melanite. Toothless was jumping around, clearly very excited.

      "Adira, is that you? It's been so long!" He warbled, running over to me and licking my face.

      "Ew! Stop, that's gross." I protested but Toothless kept covering me in dragon slobber.

      "You guys know each other?" Hiccup asked, a little uncertain.

      "Yes, around two years ago." I explained in between Toothless' licks. "Okay, Toothless, you can stop now," I said, trying to get out from under his grasp.

      "Never!" He snarled playfully and flopped on top of me. I squirmed a bit but was unable to get away.

      Melanite came to my rescue by taking my sleeve in his jaw and tugging me free. I patted his head as a silent thank you.

      By then. the group of dragon riders and surrounding Vikings were laughing so hard it brought them to tears. I couldn't help but laugh along with them.

      "What's going on?" A voice boomed, silencing the crowd. The man was tall and muscular with a huge reddish beard. His authoritative voice said that he was the leader.

      "Dad, this is Adira. She's been flying for a long time and would like to rest here before moving on." Hiccup said to him.

      "Are you sure you can trust her?" He asked, squinting at me. I supposed when a girl with around forty dragons lands on your island, trust isn't really the first thing that comes to mind.

      "Well Toothless certainly is." Hiccup replied. Toothless grinned and lunged forward to lick me again. I dodged out of the way just in time.

      "Well Toothless is a smart dragon, I'll say that." He said. "Very well, she can stay."

      "Thank you so much, sir," I said meaningfully.

      "Please," he said, "call me Stoick." I nodded in agreement. "And welcome to Berk." Berk, I liked it.

      "We have a spare house for you to stay in and a few extra stables. I'm not sure we have room for all of these dragons, though." Hiccup said, glancing at the dragon pack above our heads.

      "Everyone but Melanite and I will stay in the woods to protect the island." Citrine proposed.

      "Everybody but three of the dragons will stay in the woods and guard the island." I translated. Citrine huffed in frustration when he realized I was including Canna in the arrangement. "If that's okay."

      "That sounds great!" Hiccup exclaimed. "Toothless can show you to your house and I'll show your three dragons to the stables." He offered. I accepted.

      On the way to the house, Toothless and I had a lot of catching up to do.

      "So how has your life been?" Toothless asked.

      "Great actually. Turns out scaring Berserkers is really fun."

      "You defeated the Berserkers?" He gaped in awe.

      "Yeah you know, sent in a Boneknapper, surrounded them with Tidal Class dragons, scared them with Thunderdrums, told them to leave, paralyzed them with Indigo the Flightmare. Just everyday hobbies." I joked.

      "I'm speechless, honestly." He warbled with wide eyes, "most of the dragons we have tried and failed to train obey you without question."

      "I made friends with dragons over the years," I explained, "most of them just showed up at my feet, I didn't have to do anything."

      "That's a gift, Adira. Some people can't do that to save their lives." Toothless said, eyes twinkling with wisdom. "Well, we're at your temporary home. I'll see you later I guess." He waved with his tail and gave my face one last lick.

      "Gross," I complained and went inside the large building.

      I climbed the stairs and into one of the bedrooms, collapsing on the bed and falling asleep at once. I dreamt that I was a dragon, my scales laced with silver and gold. I was flying away from a Berserker ship, which was shooting nets. Dagur was screaming something about a Skrill. I just laughed a dragon laugh and fired a ball of ice at them. The ship froze and sunk, and Dagur's cries slowly came to a halt.

      I awoke with a jolt. It was shortly after dawn, meaning I slept through both the day and night. Someone was pounding on my door. I lazily rolled out of my bed and clambered down the stairs. When I opened the door it was not one person knocking, it was seven.

      Hiccup, Astrid, Fishlegs, Snotlout, Ruffnut, Tuffnut, and Stoick were standing at my door with worried expressions. Before I could ask, Hiccup spoke up.

      "Outcasts nearing Berk. We need your dragon pack as help because they took the other dragons hostage."

      "Including Melanite?" I asked with alarm.

      "No, he electrocuted the Outcasts that took him." Stoick answered, "the Typhoomerang and the Changewing are okay too."

      "Then what are we waiting for?" I enthused and ran toward the stables. In a matter of minutes, I had mounted Melanite and called for Citrine and Canna. Once the dragon pack was with us we started to work out a plan.

      "Okay, here's what we'll do," Melanite growled in concentration, "Indigo will paralyze them continuously until we get the other dragons out. Then we'll have every dragon throw a fireball and burn their ships. But they'll be paralyzed so they can't flee."

      "I like it," Citrine confirmed, "Adira, can you tell the others?"

      After a few moments of explaining, we were on our way. We had seven volunteer Whispering Deaths to let the others ride on them until they got their dragons back. As it turns out, Whispering Deaths hate Outcasts almost as much as Berkians.

      While we were flying toward the Outcasts I asked Hiccup, "what are Outcasts?"

      He replied, "former citizens of Berk who committed crimes and got kicked out." He laughed, "it's funny, not that long ago we thought that the Outcasts had changed and forgave us. But here they are again, weapons raised, war flags drawn."

      "Who's their leader?" I questioned.

      "Alvin, Alvin the Treacherous." He responded with extreme distaste. My blood ran cold at the mention of his name. Not him. Anyone but him.

A/N: Hope you enjoyed!