Chapter 7: Making Boys Next Door Out of @$$#*!e$

Mads switched off the newsfeed in disgust. Even local news was more interested in Jupiter Jive than in the early morning carnage at the Lasky's. She picked up her cup of tea and went to join her Grandma and Krill in their upstairs parlor.

Luc was in the parlor too, along with Graynard, and the four of them were playing some sort of card game. Based on the chips in the center of the table, the game involved gambling.

"Oh, hey Mads," said Krill, not looking away from her cards. "We thought you went to bed."

Mads had fully intended to go to bed, but her mind had other ideas. She'd been too uneasy to embrace her own fatigue, and so she'd gotten on the net in an attempt to calm her nerves. Unfortunately, that hadn't worked.

"We can switch games so you can play Mads, next round," said Graynard. "These young people are tiring me out anyway."

Grandmere giggled girlishly, and placed her cards down. "I don't know about young, but I think that's the winning hand."

"Blast it. You're a devil with these cards. Luc, you never should have taught her this game." Despite his protesting, Graynard seemed to be enjoying himself. But judging by the sideways looks he was shooting at Grandmere, his enjoyment had little to do with the cards.

The dome preserve us, thought Mads as she dropped onto an empty seat. "No, I'm good."

Krill nodded solemnly. "She's lying, she's actually just terrible at cards."

Mads scowled. "Krill. That isn't what I meant, and you know it. And I'm not that terrible."

Krill made a face at Graynard, who was apparently her partner in this game. "She's worse than I am."

Graynard sighed, "Well, at least you're charming companions. I'm afraid we made the wrong decision, letting those two pair up." He indicated Grandmere and Luc, who'd been giving each other significant looks over their cards.

As Mads watched, she realized both Grandmere and Luc were decent. Krill was average, and both sillier and more random than not in playing style. Graynard might have been a strong player, but the odds were stacked against him.

Mads sipped her tea and enjoyed the warmth and companionship of people who were content to leave her alone. She must have dozed off in the chair, because when she opened her eyes, the others were gone. It was dark outside, and the card table sat empty. The cards were stacked neatly on top of it. The air was cold.

Mads shivered and realized that she'd dropped her empty mug into her lap. She slid out of the chair and it groaned like a tired spirit. Mads felt like groaning too. She was sore, stiff and still tired.

Mads set her cup on the table and saw the softly glowing pink holonote projected there. It was in Krill's distinctive, loopy handwriting.

	Mads waved her hands over the holonote and it disappeared, leaving the room in darkness

Mads waved her hands over the holonote and it disappeared, leaving the room in darkness. Based on the chill lingering in the air, it was probably quite early in the morning. Mads tiptoed upstairs to Grandmere's room, feeling like an overprotective parent as she peeked in to make sure that Grandmere had made it to bed. Her grandmother was there, curled up in a pile of soft blankets with her silver hair unbound.