INTERLUDE: Meanwhile, Graynard Peck

The Evening Before the Fight:

The conversation that Graynard overheard:

"Commodore." That was Luc, Graynard would have known the kid's voice anywhere. It made him pause on his way down. He'd checked to make sure Luc was still out when he'd gone out to use the secure transmission station. He hadn't expected him to be back from the clubs yet.

Graynard hesitated, not sure if he should wait or go on ahead. Curiosity won, and he stood motionless in the hall, waiting to hear what the Commodore would say.

"Ah, Phelan. What a pleasant surprise. What are you doing roaming the neutral sector this evening?" The Commodore didn't sound surprised. But then, Graynard had never seen him surprised either.

"You can't let her do this." There was an edge to Luc's voice, a darkness. He was slipping. Graynard didn't approve.

The Commodore's response was faint, barely audible. "It isn't my right to stop her."

Graynard cycled through every curse he knew in silence, pressing his big frame closer to the wall. He needed to intervene before Luc ruined everything. What was wrong with Luc (other than the obvious)? Graynard was sick and tired of these reckless shenanigans, and it was about time that Luc realized that.

"I'll tell her what I know about you," Luc's voice cut in, rising a bit.

What do you know about him? Are you bluffing? Graynard wished he had better ears. And not for the first time, he wished that Luc wouldn't keep his cards so close.

The Commodore's laugh sent a chill down Graynard's spine. He wouldn't like to be on the wrong side of Commodore Leroy. He was almost impressed that Luc would threaten the man. Or, he would have been impressed if Luc wasn't such a generally reckless idiot.

"A secret for a secret, Phelan. You don't tell her mine, and I won't tell her yours. But if you let her come to harm, I will bash your lying face in myself."

Graynard frowned, trying to process this. The hell? What's the Commodore worried about the girl knowing? Why does he care what happens to a random stranger? What is she doing to them?

"It's you who's letting her fight." Luc sounded angry, but only if you knew him well. He was in a bloodletting mood. That, and the full moon was only a few nights away. It was probably grating on him. After all, if they missed this moonrise, he'd said they could miss their chance at everything. Which is why they couldn't get caught up with the Commodore and the girl's shenanigans.

The Commodore laughed, more threatening than amused. "We both know you'd win, Phelan. You've never lost. That wouldn't satisfy the Clubs."

"Screw the Clubs! I'll kill Clubs myself, tonight, and every leading member of his Court, if that's what it takes. I don't have time for this."

The Commodore's voice had a deadly softness to it when he replied, and Graynard could hardly make out the words. "Enough with the empty threats, boy. You're a liar, a backstabber, and a cheat, but you're not a murderer."

Luc's laugh was more chilling than the Commodore's voice. It even made Graynard uncomfortable.

"Commodore, I respect you, I really do." When Luc spoke, he sounded like he was smiling. All teeth. "But don't think you know anything about me." He laughed, humorless and grim. "The ancient oceans couldn't wash the blood off my hands."

Their voices drifted closer, and Graynard recoiled. Now was really not the time to be caught eavesdropping. He'd just have to hope that Luc and the Commodore kept their claws sheathed. Getting away was more important than anything else. Getting away in time. They just had to bide their time until they could make a run for it.

The Last Coffee ShopOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara