Chapter 18: Casting Fate's Dice

After two left turns, Mads almost ran bodily into Graynard. The large Atelian looked grim, and there was a dark bruise forming on his weathered cheek. "There you are," he said, glowering at Mads.

Luc rounded the corner behind her, stopping when he saw that Graynard was blocking Mads' path.

Graynard continued to scowl at Mads, ignoring Luc completely.

Luc glanced from his friend to Mads, his eyes glinting with humor. "Well, I showed her what she wanted, so we shouldn't have any more incidents."

Mads took a step back, realizing just how big and dangerous Graynard looked when he was angry. Something in the air seemed to shift, like a sudden chill at the end of the summer. Mads shivered, and wondered why she suddenly felt off-balance.

Luc slid in between them, his hands in the air. "Friends, enough. I'm hungry. I can't be the only one." He looked up at Graynard. "Gray, we both know you could crush her skull, so let it go."

Luc pointed at the bruising, then glanced back at Mads. "Miss Capot, if you ever try to hit him again, your blood will be on your own head. Understand?" He didn't wait for a reply from either party, but continued, "Good, now Graynard, please escort Miss Capot into dinner. Estrella's waiting for me." He spun on his heel, and went back the way they'd come.

Graynard stared after Luc's swiftly retreating back. "He always gets the best somehow. Always gets his way."

Mads glared up at him. "Well, I'm certainly not as beautiful or elegant as Estrella, but I prefer you to Luc, even if you're angry with me. Reading him is about as easy as reading a corpse."

Graynard looked down at her, noticeably surprised. "A corpse . . . you don't say." A moment later, he smirked. "I must admit, your left cross is excellent." He put his arm out for her to take, and then guided her down the hall.

"Junior Boxing Champion," said Mads, trying not to sound smug. "I don't let myself get rusty."

"Charming." Graynard sighed. "Just don't be so quick to hit your allies. The dinner we're attending, it's not like your hometown councils. These people are rivals at best, deadly enemies at the worst. No matter how nice they seem, they're poisonous."

Mads glanced up at him, curious. "But what does that have to do with me?"

Graynard chuckled, and his beards wobbled. "Don't be naïve. You're with us, which makes you a target. They don't know you, or how much of a threat you are. They won't know why you're here. And they'll want to see if you have something they can use. If you keep silent, keep your ears open, you'll stand a better chance of escaping."

Mads stopped, pulling the Atelian to a halt as well. "Escaping? I thought we were just stopping over? A, routine thing." She hated how her voice came out shrill at the end.

"Helen's Point is a den of vice, my dear. An orderly den, but still a den. They don't want us leaving with their money, even if they need our goods. This sort of place is meant to trap people. It's hard to get steady customers in the Waste, so they don't let anyone go easily."

Mads raised a brow. "I haven't found coffee yet, so I'm afraid they don't have anything for me."

"True." Graynard patted her arm absently. "But don't worry, Luc won't let anything happen to you."

Mads rolled her eyes. "Doesn't that just make me feel warm and fuzzy all over. Of course he won't let me go, I'm insurance."

"No, because he's an idiot," countered Graynard, tugging her back into a walk. He didn't elaborate, though Mads waited patiently for him to continue.