chapter 6

NICO'S POV

I stared down at the file on my desk with Nifemi's name on it. As I opened it, the door opened and Marcel walked it.

"Sono stanco", he moaned as he laid down on the couch by the corner. (I'm tired). "Then sleep", I said and he threw his signature glare at me. I rolled my eyes abd turned my attention back to the file.

Full name: Oluwanifemi Divine Hilton
Age: presently 18
Whereabouts: Not known

I frowned. Her name was awfully long and hard to pronounce. And then again, how come her whereabout isn't known?

I continued reading her history till I stopped at a paragraph.

On January 18th, 2021, Mr and Mrs Hilton died in a house fire. Nifemi was taken to child care services but she ran away and nobody ever saw her after that.

Frustrated, I closed the file. This wasn't all the information I needed. I have a feeling this is connected to another Mafia. Not to mention that I'm having beef with those sick Russians.

"What is it?". I turned to see my best friend looking at me with a bored look. "Her information is vague", I said. "How so?", he sat up straight. "It says her parents died in a house fire and she was taken to child care services. She said she was raped and her parents were killed but the information didn't say so", I said annoyed.

"Let Marco do a thorough research on her", he suggested and I nodded.

NIFEMI'S POV

"Who's a cute little baby?", I cooed as Hope crawled towards me on the bed. She gurgled happily as I continue to coo at her. "That's my baby, I'm so proud of you", I cooed as she touched my lap.

I tickled her making her laugh out loud. The knock on the drew us out of our play date. "Come in", I called. The door opened the maid from the other day came. I think her name was Ariana.

"Hello", she greeted with a smile. "Hi", I waved a little. She closed the door behind her and approached me. "I'm Ariana, we haven't actually met properly", she said. "I'm Nifemi, it's nice to meet you", I smiled at her.

Hope was staring at her with interest. I almost laughed at her curiousness. "Aww, your baby is so cute", Ariana said as she went to sit beside me on the bed. "Thank you. Do you want to hold her?", I asked making her eyes widened. "You want me to hold her?", she asked.

"If you want to", I replied. I didn't know why but I trusted her. She's the first person I'm trusting in a long time. She nodded and I gently placed Hope on her lap. "Her name is Hope", I said. "It fits her so well", Ariana said and I laughed.

"What brought you here?", Ariana asked me. "I was brought here against my will. I didn't have much of a choice. Its either this or be killed", I answered with a sigh. "What happened? Did you anything to them?", she asked and I shook my head. "I have no business with any mafia. Apparently, I was framed", I shrugged.

"I apologize", she said and I chuckled. "I'm okay. At least, this is better than the crappy life I've been living for a long time", I said. "You're a strong girl", she said as she played with Hope. "How old are you?", she asked. "Eighteen", I replied. "I'm twenty two", she answered. "I guessed so", I said and she grinned.

I noticed that she wasn't wearing her maid uniform. "Last time I saw you, you were wearing a maid's dress", I said confused. "I only do that when a visitor is coming", she said confusing me the more.

"Nico doesn't make it compulsory for me to wear the uniform. I'm more of family than a maid", she explained and I nodded.

We spent a few more time getting to know each other. I warmed up to her easily which was surprising because I never warmed up to people easily.

She finally convinced me to follow her to the kitchen to make dinner. I haven't cooked a meal since my life flipped over and I wasn't sure if I still remembered how to do so.

"I hate bananas", I grimaced as I handed her the serving spoon. She let out a laugh, "Me too". While we cooked, Hope was asleep on the couch in the living room.

"What's your favorite food?", Ariana asked. "Chocolate anything", I said. "I expected you to like maybe waffles or pancakes", she said. "If there's chocolate on it, then I'll eat it", I said and she laughed.

"I see you two are getting along". We turned around to see Nicolas leaning on the door frame. He was dressed in suit slacks and a white button up shirt that hugged his well defined muscles. Three of his buttons were unbuttoned having a glimpse of his hard chest.

I feel like a creep.

"I thought you won't be back until evening", Ariana frowned. "It went easier than expected", he shrugged. "My parents are coming over", he said as he pushed himself off the door frame. His parents?

She nodded and he left. Ariana turned to me. "Should I be scared?", I asked and she shook her head. "His father is a bit cold but his mother is a lovely woman", she said. I'm not even going to be present in the dinner, why should I be worried?

"I think you should talk to Nico about Hope's health. She needs to see a doctor", she said and I nodded. "Do you know where he may be now?", I asked. "The left hallway. If you keep going, you'll see three large doors, the third door is his study", she replied and I thanked her before scurrying off.

I finally found is office after I thought I was going to get lost. How can someone live in a house this big. I knocked on the door and mentally briefed myself on what I was going to say.

"Come in", his deep voice said and my breath hitched.

I opened the door and walked in. He was sitting behind the large mahogany desk. His study was big having two shelves by the corner with books neatly kept. His desk had neat stacks of papers on it. I frowned. I didn't know mafia dons did paperwork.

"How may I help you?", he asked. "Why are you keeping me here?", I asked as I crossed my arms across my chest. "It's either you join the Mafia or die", he said with a bored tone. I nearly rolled my eyes. "There's no point in keeping me hostage here. I won't rat you out to anyone. I have no friends or any related I know of", I said.

"And you'll go back to that piece of shit you call home?", he scoffed making me glare at him. "Why do you care?". "You're a girl with a baby. I'm doing you a favor by keeping you under a roof with enough provision for you and your child, be grateful", he crossed his arms and leaned back.

"I didn't ask for it", I said stubbornly. "You're being childish", he said as he narrowed his eyes at me. "And you're being domineering", I shot back. He rolled his eyes and stood up. "You do know who you're talking to, right?", he asked dangerously low as he walked towards me like a predator.

I wanted to cower away but the stubborn side of me held her ground still glaring at him. "Of course I know", I rolled my eyes. "I'm not a man of good patience. I advice you to mind how you talk to me", he warned as he continued walking towards me.

"Stop treating me like a kid", I glared back. "You don't dictate for me", he said angrily.

Well done, Nifemi. You're young to get yourself killed very soon.

"Sorry, Mr. Almighty. Do I look like kid?", I motioned to my body. That may have sounded the wrong way because the way his eyes roamed my body made me feel naked in front of him.

He smirked and before I knew it, I was cornered to the wall. His large frame was towering over me like a giant while I was still blushing from embarrassment.

"You look nothing like a kid", his hot minty breath fanned my face making me close my eyes. I opened my eyes to see him staring at me. He muttered something in Italian before pulling away. "You're joining my parents and I for dinner and your daughter will be attended to tomorrow morning", he said before walking out if the study while I stood there stunned.