Chapter 6

Trent's Point of View

It's been four days since I met Anthony, and we've been texting each other a lot, and we are really great friends. To be honest, he could easily be the best friend I've had in a while, I relate to him in ways that I even don't know yet.

I do have a lot of secrets that I'm scared to share. I really like Anthony and I'm afraid of what I tell him, will scare him away.

I didn't just move to this neighborhood just because we moved houses, there's another reason. My mom and I ran away from my dad.

It may be surprising that my mom and I ran away from my dad, but we had a really good reason to. He did so many bad things, we just couldn't live with him anymore.

It may be an instinct to want to know what my dad did to us, so I guess I'll just say it.

He abused me, along with my mom. I would go to school with bruises all over my body, and I would have to talk to school counselors all time at school because of it. Teachers would become concerned when I would come to school hurt, frequently.

But what really ticked me off was when my dad would constantly hit and hurt my mom, sometimes daily. I love my mom, more than anything, and it killed me to know that she was miserable with my dad near her, all the time.

Although my dad caused most of my depression, that wasn't the only reason why I was so upset during that time. It was something that ached me, for years, and I was so afraid to tell anyone, ever since I was twelve. Something that also I didn't want to face any discrimination or lose any of my friends for. But all pretty much turned out fine in the end.

The secret is, is that I'm not straight. I'm not really into girls. I'm gay. I found out that I wasn't straight when I was near twelve years old, and I was petrified to tell anyone for the longest time, until I told my mom when I was fourteen. And then followed by some of my best friends, and sadly my dad found out when I was talking to my mom.

And that turned out really bad. Since my dad found out, he started to abuse me more than he did before. He still did before he found out, but he did more when he found out. But he wasn't the only person who reacted badly when I told them.

One of my friends, Mike, who I regret telling, reacted not the best, but it didn't end well for him either. He definitely wasn't the best friend I had, I did have better friends, he was one of the friends I talked to occasionally, but kinda got along with. Mike was a homophobic person, and I should've realized that before I told him.

He reacted badly, and called me fag and called me a loser for being gay. Although, I know that Mike still cared about me, and Mike still wanted to be my friend. He could've easily told the rest of the school that I wasn't straight, but he never did.

But I didn't realize that after I moved here. And I didn't react well either, when he said that stuff to me. I don't take being yelled at or being insulted, and I don't want to be called that and not do anything about it.

I screamed back at him, and retaliated almost all of my anger out at Mike. I was definitely never considered to be a feared person at school then, I was never a person people thought would retaliate when messed with. But what happened then, completely changed everyone's perspective of me.

What really shocked people, is when I punched him in the face, after I yelled at him. I wouldn't have done anything except yell at him, but he rolled his eyes and laughed when I retaliated at him. After that I got a reputation for guy who gets into fights, even though I just had one throughout all my years in school.