7. I wake up screaming from dreaming

SEVEN

SEVEN. I wake up screaming from dreaming

trigger warnings: mentions of abuse, sexual assault, and miscarriage

Tatum wondered all the time why she stayed with Riley for so long. She was fourteen when they met. Her dad had just died. He was older than her, charming and good looking. He liked her. She fell for him quickly, ignoring the questionable things her friends had to say about it. They were in love. Everything was perfect. She should've listened to Raven when she told her that boy ain't no good.

She was fifteen when the first event occurred. She'd just gotten back from stealing rations with Jasper and Monty. She had pockets full of food. Riley was waiting for her on the couch. "Hey, babe, where've you been?"

"Oh, I was just with Jasper and Monty." She answered in a sing song tone. She smirked. "The boys and I hit the jackpot.

Riley spotted all the rations on the bed. "You took all of these?"

"Well, technically, Jasper's the one who snuck us in but I had a hand in helping." She told him while swinging her arms side to side.

At the time, Riley was seventeen. He didn't think it was funny. "How can you think this is okay?"

She laughed. "It's only a little bit, Riley."

"Who cares? What do you think's gonna happen when you get caught?" He stepped closer to her.

She stepped back. "I'm not going to get caught."

"Those people are going to get you in trouble."

"Those people?" She repeated. "You mean my best friends?"

"I mean the low lives who corrupt my girlfriend into committing crimes." He spoke harshly, his eyes blazing.

"They don't corrupt me to do anything, Riley. It's just harmless fun."