16. watch the earth burn

SIXTEEN

SIXTEEN. watch the earth burn

      Since getting the news that she'd been pardoned from her crimes, Tatum was thriving

Since getting the news that she'd been pardoned from her crimes, Tatum was thriving. She didn't have to live her life in fear anymore. She could smile without feeling something bad would happen. She felt free. Swinging her arms as she walked through camp, she found Raven standing with the other delinquents as they set up a screen. She snuck up behind her and wrapped an arm around her. "Hey, beautiful." She greeted brightly.

Raven flinched until she saw who it was. "Hey, Miss Sunshine." She laughed. "Don't tell me Unity Day's got you all smiley."

Tatum scoffed. "Fuck Unity Day. I'm smiley all on my own."

She laughed again and Jaha's face appeared on the screen. "My friends, this is a historic Unity Day. Every year, we mark the moment our ancestors of the twelve stations joined to form the Ark, but this time it is the last time we do so while aboarding her. Next year, on the ground."

"Right. After we did all the work. Someone shut him up." Miller complained.

"Shut up, Miller. No one's forcing you to watch." Said Raven.

"Nah Raven, he's right," Tatum stated. "Why should they get to act all high and mighty about coming to the ground when we've been the ones busting our ass? Fuck Unity Day."

"Yeah!" Miller cheered and they high fived.

Raven rolled her eyes. "Oh, brother."

Clarke came outside and Tatum quickly walked over to her. "Clarke, please tell me you hate Unity Day too?" She begged.

She chuckled. "Why do you hate Unity Day?"

"The Ark only came together after the thirteenth station was blown out of the sky. It's just no one likes to mention that part in their stories. It's like saying we'll come together as a group only after the last person dies. What a joke."

"It gives people hope, though," Clarke insisted and they began walking. "And peace came out of that violence."

Tatum sighed dramatically. "Oh Clarke, dear, will there ever really be peace?"