V. drunken truthes

1521 ADTENOCHTITLAN

1521 AD
TENOCHTITLAN

PERSE'S EYES OPENED AS SHE heard ringing in her ear. Her lungs finally took a deep breath of air, and her body laid on a nook. She could still hear the screaming of the natives, yet was sheered over to the sound of bullets.

As her mind was processing, she remembered the faint memories of the forest, more especially, what happened. Her hand slammed to where her wound was, but there was nothing.

She was completely fine.

Her head looked over to see Druig, holding a bottle of water and more blankets for her. He looked to her and dropped everything.

Druig ran to her, kneeling down on the ground, and hugged her deeply. His hand cradled her head as his arm stayed protective on her lower back.
She hugged him back, hearing his sobs.

"I thought I lost you," He confessed, "I-I thought you were gone, I couldn't—I couldn't..."

"I'm here," Perse spoke, "I'm okay. We're okay, my love."

She pulled away and cupped his face to look up to her. His blue eyes landed on her brown ones, his held relief and pain. The pain of her leaving him, the pain of just the thought of her being gone. His glossy eyes still held water, just waiting for them to fall.

"You can't get rid of me that easily," She joked, wiping the tears away from his face.

Druig's mouth curled to a small smile, lips trembling. He put his hand to her jaw and leaned to her, kissing her softly. Perse smiled within the kiss as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

Suddenly, gunshots made them break apart. The blaze of fire was outside the open window, giving them both a reality check.
She walked to the window, slowly looking out. Perse tensed in seeing that the genocide wasn't ending.

"They won't stop," Druig tells, "They haven't stopped."

The woman felt a twitch in her eyes. Her brown eyes turned gold as her hands began to glow. She wanted to do something, anything. She could try and tame the fires, she could try and have an earthquake appear for the fighting to stop.

But she couldn't do it.
The voice of Ajak played in her head, to not interfere. Don't, the voice said,
This is our job. Don't interfere with their fights. This isn't our problem. As much as she wanted, her brain told her to listen to their leader.

"What have we done?" Perse asked herself.

She felt at fault for this to come. If she and the Eternals were to intervene for a moment, just bring sense into humanity, the genocide wouldn't happen. And yet, they have done nothing to stop a mass slaughter.