Chapter 2

Yelena felt how the nine year old next to her tensed as they approached the fence of the farm. The little girl clenched her fists tightly as they continued to walk.

"Are you okay?" she questioned her, but the girl did not even stare at her. "Do you recognize this place?" she asked, being aware that the young widow was not going to answer.

Vera had remained in silence the whole way to Melina's farm, not even bothering to look at her when she would try to engage with her into a conversation. It was no mystery that the young girl was probably still terrified.

One more time all she got was silence from the child, who had stopped walking as soon as she had spotted Melina behind the fence.

For a moment, Yelena felt the urge of getting herself in front of the little girl. She wanted to shield her from any unnecessary pain. She had promised her sister she would keep the kid safe.

Melina stared at her before locking her gaze on the little redhead girl in ballet clothes. The look on their faces spoke for them. There was hurt and betrayal in the little one's green eyes and it really saddened her to see such a young kid dealing with those feelings. The blonde sighed. She knew those feelings too well.

"Vera" Melina murmured, unable to hide her surprise, but the kid just looked down. "Come inside" the woman told them before walking to the house.

"Come on" she walked closer to the girl when she did not see her move. "Do you need us to stay here until you feel comfortable?" she questioned her, seeing how the kid shook her head. "You sure? It's okay if you need time" she assured her.

The nine year old shook her head again before starting to walk towards the door, so she followed her. They only knew each other for a few hours, but Yelena was already aware that the girl shared her stubbornness with her mother.

After a few tries she managed to get the child to change into more comfortable clothes, all of them a little too big for her small frame.

However, the worst part came when she had to remove the tracker from the little girl's thigh. Not even the numbing cream stopped the kid from squirming away from her touch, tears being held in her green eyes.

Vera refused to leave her side, tensing each time Melina would get closer to them. The kid had stood by her while she was cooking some Mac and Cheese she always kept at her mother's farm. Comfort food for after missions.

"Do you want some?" she offered, being aware that the situation could be a little overwhelming. "I like to put hot sauce on," she smiled, giving her a fork with some macaroni on it.

The kid grimaced slightly while tasting the Mac and Cheese, which got Yelena to chuckle, but ended up frowning, since the child stopped eating after two more bites.

"You're not hungry?" she observed her, taking the fork from the kid's hand."Eat a little more, please" she pressed the macaroni on Vera's lips.

The nine year old moved her face away so she would stop feeding her, which she did, being content with how much the little girl had eaten. Normally it would take her around two days to get any other widow to eat, so she was more than happy that the young widow had trusted her enough to eat even if it was just a little bit.

Yelena observed the kid that was sitting next to her. The girl looked a lot younger than ten years old. She was skinny and short for her age, she did not look like a healthy child.

-/-

The glass had slipped from her hands, crashing on the floor even if she had tried to stop it with her right foot. At the sound she flinched, fear getting ahold of her as she heard the footsteps getting closer.

"Vera?" the widow that had taken her out from the Red Room, called her.

Her green eyes met Yelena's honey-green eyes for a short moment, then glancing at the other person that walked there, Melina.

The nine year old gulped, staring at her foot since it was hurting badly. She could find blood covering her white sock. At that moment she panicked. She had broken that glass, a stupid mistake she should not have made, and she had injured herself in the process.

Before any of the women could scold her or even punish her for that, she ran as fast as she could, only wanting to get as far as possible from that place. In the back of her head, she knew that Melina would never scold her for that, but she was not so sure about Yelena, yet.

She left the farm behind, not stopping even when she was being told to. However, her eyes widened at the feel of someone wrapping their arms around her to stop her from running away.

The young widow kicked and punched, trying her best to get rid of the tight grip. There was no other sound than her screams, those that soon turned into sobs as she realized that she was not escaping whatever that was happening next.

She was left on the ground, still a tight grip around her right arm as she was obligated to turn around. A woman with short blonde hair and green eyes kneeled to her height in front of her.

"It's okay" the woman told her as she continued to observe her, for some odd reason she felt like she knew her. "Are you hurt?"

The kid looked down at her foot. It was still hurting and her sock was soaked in blood. But she shook her head in fear of what could happen if they learnt that she was injured. Widows were not utile if they were injured or sick, some of them were even killed.

"No one is upset. It was an accident. There's no need to be scared, honey" the blonde assured her, getting her to flinch slightly at the nickname. "Come on, let's go back inside" the woman stood up before tugging from her hand, so she would start walking.

She whimpered in pain and only a few seconds later the woman hoisted her to her hip, keeping her in place the moment she squirmed, feeling a little uncomfortable with the hold. However, as soon as her head fell against the woman's shoulder, her eyes closed as she relaxed immediately. She pressed her face against the blonde's neck, fingers tracing patterns on her lower back.

She sighed content. She was a little overwhelmed at the lack of understanding of her own feelings. But she knew that for the first time in her whole life, she felt safe.

-/-

Hi!!

I was not sure how I wanted Vera and Natasha to meet. I didn't want the situation to be rushed. So I really enjoyed the idea of the kid surrendering to her mom's arms even without knowing the truth.

Thanks so much for reading, let me know what you think,

Ayrin