Chapter 8

NATASHA'S P.O.V

"Great" Yelena muttered at the sight of the Avengers or what was left of them.

Natasha stared at her friends without releasing her grip on her daughter, who was trembling against her.

"What are you doing here?" she asked them, not pretending to sound so hostile, but they were scaring her kid.

"We were worried" Steve answered, his gaze on her. "You haven't been answering our calls and I thought... I guess I was wrong" he said while looking with curiosity at the young girl that was clinging to the Black Widow.

It took her a few seconds to get the little one to let go, gently cupping her daughter's face in her hands. The ten year old looked terrified, so she wrapped her arms around her to calm her down.

"Shh, it's okay, baby" she whispered. "They're friends. They're not going to hurt any of us" Natasha assured her daughter. "You have to go home with Tetushka-"

"You're leaving?" the child pulled away from her in tears.

"No. I'm not leaving, sweet girl" she answered quickly. "I just need to talk to them. I'll be home just in time for you to blow your candles" she wiped with her thumbs the young girl's tears from her cheeks.

Natasha glanced at Yelena, making sure her sister was alright, but the blonde seemed to be avoiding her gaze. She frowned slightly before wrapping one arm around Vera and approaching Yelena.

She wanted to pull her baby sister into a reassuring hug, but she was not sure if her sister would be okay with the affectionate touch in front of the Avengers. So instead she grabbed the young woman's hand, the blonde finally looking at her.

"I'm not leaving, okay?" she assured them both.

Yelena nodded, but Vera just looked down. The child's left hand clenched tightly around the stuffed animal as her right one clutched into a tight fist, trying really hard to regulate her emotions. She cradled the side of her kid's head before kissing her temple, hoping it would help to calm the little one's anxiety.

Despite still being a long walk until the farm, the Black Widow observed from the distance how her sister hoisted the tiny girl up onto her hip. It wasn't until she could not see them anymore that she turned to look at her friends.

"I hope you don't mind me asking, but who are they?" Sam questioned her and she glanced at him.

She sighed. Natasha wasn't sure if it was safe to tell them the whole truth, but she knew she couldn't keep lying to them, to Steve.

"They're my sister and" she paused, taking in Steve and Sam's surprised looks. "My daughter"

The two of them just stared at her without uttering a word, being completely confused by the information. Wanda was the only one who didn't seem to be surprised and Natasha was aware that the witch had probably known since she left to reunite with her family.

"She looks like you, Nat" the young woman commented with a smile, so she smiled back at her while nodding slightly.

-/-

YELENA'S P.O.V

Yelena was sitting on the couch with the sleepy ten year old pressed against her. The young girl had had a meltdown a few minutes ago when she had told her to go to bed, refusing to fall asleep until Natasha would be back.

She sighed. It wasn't as if she couldn't understand the little one's abandonment issues, since she was afraid that her older sister would leave with the Avengers without even telling them. But for her niece's sake she needed to remain calm.