Chapter 18

VERA'S P.O.V

Vera walked with her head down. Her hand was gripped by Wanda's as they rushed through the streets of New York City. Their quick pace perfectly matched the rest of the people around them, everyone seemed to be in a hurry.

They definitely were in a hurry. They had arrived only a few minutes earlier than when the trial was starting and, as Vera had heard, the Avengers wanted to intervene before it.

At first, she was going to wait for them in the Quinjet, but none of them truly wanted to leave her alone. It was obvious that they didn't trust her. So, now she was stuck with Wanda.

"Alright, now we wait here." The woman stopped in front of a tall building.

The ten-year-old looked up while readjusting the cap she was wearing, since it was too big for her small head, but they had managed to hide all her red hair under it. They were at the backside of a building, not many people walking by.

Wanda let go of her hand to answer her phone, "We're in position." The young woman said, getting her attention while asking, "No. What's taking you so long?"

Vera furrowed her brow. Something wasn't going as planned. She could see how Wanda tensed up as the conversation continued.

"Okay." The young witch sighed before placing her phone back in her denim jacket pocket, turning to look at her. "I have to go inside. I won't take long, just don't move from here, okay?" Wanda told her.

"But I can help," she complained.

"I don't doubt that, sweetie." The woman nodded. "But this time you have to wait here."
Vera nodded slightly. "But what if you don't come back?"

"Then you get back to the quinjet and call Yelena." Wanda answered. "Remember, not going anywhere, you wait here." The woman told her one more time.

"Okay," she murmured before Wanda walked inside the building.

-/-

The child ran inside the building despite Wanda's words. She wanted her mama back and the so-called Avengers were taking too long.

As soon as she slipped inside the big hall, she made sure not to make eye contact with anyone there, keeping herself in places where she couldn't be seen. However, despite that, she analyzed everyone around her, assessing for possible threats, just as she had been taught.

Her jaw clenched when she saw the tall grey-haired man that had taken her mother away. He was greeted by a dark-haired man before turning into a hallway, so she followed them. He had to know where her mama was.

Both men walked into a room, the door closing after them. But, before she could walk closer, the door opened again, the other man walking outside, his brown eyes behind the dark tinted glasses meeting hers.

Vera studied the man in front of her. Tony Stark. Iron man. She remembered him from when Dreykov made her watch and study all the Avengers battles. He was the one that had set all of this up.

The man observed her with a surprised look, removing his glasses as if to make sure she was really standing there in front of him. He took a deep breath after realizing that she wasn't a figment of his imagination.

"I don't think you should be here," Tony said while taking a step closer to her but stopping when he saw her walking backwards. "I'm not going to hurt you, kid," he raised his hands, but that didn't stop her from clenching her fists while changing her position into a fighting stance. "Okay, I'm sure you're here for your mom and I know where she is. But you're gonna' have to stop that," he gestured towards her hands before adding, "And trust me. I can take you to her."