Chapter 14

VERA'S P.O.V

Vera ran until her legs gave out and she fell to the ground, out of breath. She was surrounded by trees. There was nowhere to go. The closest city was still too far away for her to get there just by walking.

"Hi, sweetie" Wanda's voice startled her.

Her green eyes widened at the sight of the young woman standing in front of her. She was quite surprised at how fast she had been found.

Wanda observed Vera for a few seconds before trying to get closer. But the kid backed away while taking shallow breaths.

"Okay, I'll stay here" the brunette nodded. "Are you okay?"

Vera looked down, unsure about what to answer. She didn't feel well at all. Her whole body ached and the throbbing pain in her head was a constant reminder of the mind control, and it truly scared her.

"Your Mama is really worried, sweetheart" Wanda told her quietly.

The ten-year-old furrowed her brow, upset. Her Mama wanted to take her to a doctor. But Natasha always told her that she could make her own choices now. And her choice was not to go to the doctor, at least not willingly.

"I don't want to go there" Vera murmured, stating out loud what her choice was. Her voice was a little shaky.

The young woman nodded, slowly reaching out to grab the kid's left hand. "I know you've been through a lot," her thumb caressed Vera's knuckles. "And that it's scary-"

"They cause more pain" the young girl said in just a whisper, her bottom lip trembling.

"Most of them don't" Wanda told her. "But I'm sure your Mama is not going to let anyone hurt you" the brunette stared into the kid's green eyes before adding, "And I won't let anyone hurt you."

For a moment the kid remained quiet. She was tired and cold and missed the warmth of her Mama's embrace. She was aware that Natasha wouldn't put her in danger, but the fear was still too strong.

However, the young girl observed Wanda's face, trying to decipher if her words were real or not. She could tell that woman was serious about it, there was nothing that could tell otherwise.

"You promise?" Vera asked, needing the reassurance that she could trust the young woman.

Wanda's green eyes softened while nodding slightly, "I promise, sweetie."

-/-

NATASHA'S P.O.V

Natasha paced nervously. Her left hand was clutched tightly around her daughter's stuffed koala as an unsettling feeling sunk in. Her kid was out there, probably terrified and even injured or sicker..., And she didn't even know where to start looking.

It had been a while since Wanda had left to search for the young girl. Sam too. And she would have done it as well if it hadn't been for Steve pointing out that if Vera came back by her own, someone needed to be there. Someone the child would trust.

The Black Widow had scowled at that. Her baby was missing. She had to be out there searching for the kid instead of just pacing anxiously, waiting for Vera to return.

Steve was watching her silently from the RV's door, refusing to leave her alone as if he didn't trust what she would do. She would run to find her kid.

"Am I a bad mom?" Natasha turned to Steve, her right hand shaking as she pointed to herself. "Be honest."

The man seemed confused about the sudden question, but quickly shook his head. "No, you're not" he answered.

"She ran away. She's missing." Tears welled up in her eyes as she murmured, "I have to be doing something wrong if she feels the need to escape."