Chapter 21

The ambulance's siren seemed to effectively snap everyone out of it

The ambulance's siren seemed to effectively snap everyone out of it. Your mother must've called one from the car when your father took the fall and never got back up again. Nobody even checked his vitals, for all you knew he could've hit his head that hard against the pavement that he would never be getting back up again, but you didn't even think to check, and surprisingly neither did Derek. He was just as frozen in shock as you all were.

The only one who dared utter a word was Emily, calling out to her dad, but Harry just sat there, staring at your father on the ground, clenching and unclenching his fist. You could tell he'd definitely heard her, but he didn't dare turn back and face her.

How long had she been standing there? And what's worse, her mother, Harry's ex, was with her- although he didn't know it yet.

You didn't know how much time passed between Emily calling out for him and the ambulance arriving. Could've been seconds, minutes. You couldn't be sure. Everything was hazy, as if you were witnessing it all unfold in a dream.

But when the sirens pierced the silence and its lights danced upon Harry's face as it approached- you hadn't unglued your eyes off him for a second- everybody flinched as if an hypnotist had snapped his fingers and you were all back to reality. The paramedics made their way in between you and Harry, crouching to aid your father, but you still couldn't look away from him.

Finally, his eyes zeroed in on you and you just stared at each other. So much was being said between the two of you just then. More than you'd probably told each other the whole time you'd been together

You opened your mouth to say something but a different kind of siren interrupted you, and all too soon you could hear your mother as she was talking to the police, informing them of what had happened.

You still couldn't get the words out of your mouth, and all was happening so fast. The paramedics were taking your father away on a stretcher, and officers were asking Harry to come down to the station, all atop your hysterical mother who all of a sudden had found her voice seemingly and was shouting at the police to "Arrest this man! He's a danger to society! He knocked out my husband out of the blue, unprovoked, he seduced my daughter, she's old enough to be his own child, my husband was merely defending her honour--"

"Ma'am, let's take this to the station, you can file a report if you wish to press charges" one of the officers was escorting Harry to their car while the other tried to reason with your mother

"I can't go right this minute, I need to go to the hospital with my husband!"

"Ma'am,--"

"It's ok mom, Y/N and I will go with dad"

"No I'm not! I'm going with Harry!"

"Stop it, Y/N" Derek gritted his teeth "You're making a scene!"

"Let go of me!" you shouted, extricating yourself from his vice grip on your elbow and you could see Harry turn around immediately but could not actually head back, the officer stopping him "Harry!" you shouted after him desperately "Stop! Why are you taking him away like some sort of criminal!?"